Dani's Reviews > Goddess of Yesterday

Goddess of Yesterday by Caroline B. Cooney

F_50x66
Apr 02, 12

There were many reasons why I enjoyed reading The Goddess of Yesterday, mainly because at the time when I first picked up the book, I was absolutely fascinated with Greek Mythology, and how life was truly like in Ancient Greece. After inquiring about the topic, I was steered toward this book, and after reading it, I think I truly have a grasp of what life was like back then. The book tells the tale of Anaxandria, a girl living with her father the pirate on an island he rules. It kicks off when she is taken from her home, to be companion of the crippled daughter of the King of Siphnos, Nicander. It tells of how she worhships, not any of the conservative gods, but her own "Goddess of Yesterday." who every evening, she thanks for watching over her. She is also different in that she loves a Medusa doll, for she believes that it will protect her. Later, when she is the single survivor after pirates destroy the city-state, she is rescued by the King of Sparta, who mistakenly takes her for the Princess Callisto, the girl she was supposed to play companion to. Anaxadria does not correct him, for fear he wont rescue her as he intends. For a few years, she lives in Sparta, until the kings wife and queen Helen deserts Sparta in favor of Troy. this sparks a war, and Anaxandria must play in the shadows, staying loyal to the Spartan king she has come to love. In the end, she comes clean about her true identity, and is forgiven by all. The book finishes with her prayer to her Goddess of yesterday, asking her to also be her Goddess of tomorrow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goddess of Yesterday.