Brian's Reviews > The Map of Time

The Map of Time by Félix J. Palma

Apr 02, 12

bookshelves: fiction
Read in April, 2012

I think this is the single biggest book I have read: 609 pages. I wasn't sure I would finish it, but within three hours I was 120-something pages through and hooked. Reading the description it talked about HG Wells and saving literary classics, but so far not even mentioned.

It starts off as a romance- and then the author breaks through and talks directly to you (numerous times). So with the author telling us to bear with him, so to speak, I get ensnared into a love story that involves Jack the Ripper. Intriguing as that is, the novel starts to twist and turn and intertwine tales. In a way it's kind of like a Victorian Pulp Fiction.

The neat thing about this tale, is it does a good job trying to explain improbabilities and the problems with time travel and what happens. There are quite a few twists and clever parts in the storytelling.

The one thing I do have against the novel is the exposition of some of the characters and scenes. Where it is insightful to get a backstory, sometimes you just don't care and want the main story to continue- so admittedly I skimmed through a few pages but was never lost. I'd be interested in some more works from Palma.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Map of Time.