Kyle Shroufe's Reviews > The Professor of Desire

The Professor of Desire by Philip Roth

M 50x66
Apr 02, 12

bookshelves: fiction, modernism-post-modernism
I own a copy, read count: once

This is currently my favorite Roth novel (I havn't read them all yet) and it is what made me a true believer in his work. I found this novel which is actually a sequel to "The Breast" (Roth's "Metamorphasis" double that has David Kepesh turned into a 155lb breast) I find it somewhat strange that not many reflections on his experiance in "The Breast were eluded to in this sequel. Regardless this is one of the most sexually, not promiscuous, but aware novel that I have ever read. I found myself relating to the literary Professor that is our protagonist, and also seemingly his own antagonist but thats a wholenother conversation. Point being the sexual life of David Kepesh is oen that many men would envy but it shows that being handsome and well versed in education doesn't always gaurentee a mate and in many cases it makes your lifelong goal of finding that special someone harder for one reason or another. Those reasons are exposed in this novel and what an amazing read for anyone that experiances the same issues. I can imagine this is a love or hate book depending on how your own life situation goes but regardless Roth's work here is undeniably amazing. His literary prowess shows more so in "The Professor of Desire" than any other book of his Ive read, and he also keeps most of his "Jewish Bantor" out of the novel allowing everyone to enjoy it unbiased. A great novel that should be read.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Professor of Desire.