Carre Gardner's Reviews > The Pilot's Wife

The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve

Apr 02, 12

I tried to love this book, really I did. Because, you know, it's Anita Shreve and isn't her work supposed to be brilliant? But...it was just kind of boring. The plot wasn't all that bad, I suppose (so...not all that good, either.) In general, I happen to like books that are slower-paced; more character-driven. Great character can really carry a book. So the fact that a story may not have a rip-roaring plot is rarely reason for me to pan it, as long as the characters keep me intrigued.

...which didn't happen here. The main character (Good heavens, I just finished the book two hours ago, and I can't even remember her name. Was it Mary? Maybe...) was just...plain vanilla. She was a teacher. Of school-aged kids. She had a teenaged daughter. That's about all I remember of her. Oh--and she was a pilot's wife. But throughout the book, I never got a feel for who she was; what kinds of passions drove her. I never cared about her. She was bo-o-o-o-oring. No wonder her husband went and [insert book spoiler here. Which I won't do, because I care about you, the potential reader.]

Meh.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pilot's Wife.