Kian's Reviews > More Than Human

More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon

Apr 06, 2012

bookshelves: sf-masterworks
Read from April 02 to 06, 2012

Wow, that was hard work - but worth every word. More Than Human explores a number of themes, but the primary thread running through the book is one of evolution and discovery. Split in to three chapters, each chapter covers a period of the story of a group of people coming together and discovering themselves, their abilities and the thing which encompasses them all, the Gestalt.

Steurgeon does not waste words, it is a truly amazing talent. This book does not make for easy reading - the language is precise and detailed, and there are scenes involving child abuse and some rather deep psychology. The narrative in each chapter tells a desperate story, each acting as a part of the larger one, much like the Gestalt itself. The chapters have no natural rests and do not break up well, it pays to make sure you can read each of the 100 page chapters in a single sitting. The language is contemporary and fresh, I had to check again when I noticed the 1954 date, I had easily placed this a few decades later. Amazing work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read More Than Human.