Nicole's Reviews > False Memory

False Memory by Dan Krokos

Apr 02, 12

Read in April, 2012

YA sci-fi thriller about a teenage girl with amazing abilities. I liked it - on a scale of one to Ender's Game, it's a solid 5.

My review does not contain any major spoilers, but just a general summation of the plot and characters. But I marked it with spoilers just in case there are some strict readers out there who want to be entirely surprised with how the plot unravels.

The book starts out with the main character, red-headed Miranda North, who seems to be trying to recover from some type of memory loss. She wanders into a mall and tries to get help, but ends up creating panic and destruction. A boy in the mall named Peter claims to know Miranda and tells her that they're friends and that they both belong to a team of highly-trained, genetically-enhanced, teenage mind-power soldiers. With no choice but to follow Peter, Miranda meets the rest of the team, one of whom is a boyfriend that she has apparently no recollection of. The team lives in a facility and is being trained to be used for good, or so that's what they've always been led to believe. Evil forces intrude and the teens find themselves reluctant pawns in the diabolical plot of a mysterious group to control the minds of millions of people, and probably take over the world. Did I mention anything about evil clones? Ya, there in there too.

Did I like this novel? Surprisingly, I did. Why surprisingly? Two reasons - 1. I hate clones, because I always get confused on who's who, especially if they switch places, and 2. the chicks in the story actually have brains. Oh, and they can kick some serious butt.

The ending of the book leaves an opening for a sequel, which I wouldn't mind reading to hopefully get the answers to some of the questions raised in the story. The science behind the genetic tampering could use a little more explanation too.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read False Memory.