Raina's Reviews > The Silence of Our Friends

The Silence of Our Friends by Mark Long

Apr 02, 12

bookshelves: adult, biographical, graphicnovel, graphic-memoir, historical
Read in March, 2012

This is a very specific story.

For some reason, when I was reading about this book prior to reading it itself, I had the impression that this was a more comprehensive story about the civil rights struggle in one particular locale. Instead, it's a very personal story about a couple of families and one particular trial after one particular incident. Which doesn't make it a bad book, of course - it just wasn't what I'd expected.

I appreciated the depiction of what being a "race reporter" (I think I got the term right) was like in the south during this period. This is a great depiction of what individual people and families can do to make historic bridges between cultures. The creators set out to show many sides to the stories and they were successful in that.

Personally, though I admire Powell's skill, I don't find his artistic style all that aesthetically pleasing. He's not afraid to show ugliness, and for that I thank him, but sometimes this results in his characters not feeling all that likeable.

A valuable new perspective on civil rights, and a story which needs to be told. An extra star for that value.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silence of Our Friends.