EinsteinShrugged's Reviews > Superman Versus The Ku Klux Klan: The True Story of How the Iconic Superhero Battled the Men of Hate

Superman Versus The Ku Klux Klan by Rick Bowers

Apr 18, 12

Read from April 02 to 04, 2012

I pride myself on knowing that Ohio is the greatest state in the Union (FACT) and that Cleveland is obviously one of the greatest cities in the world. Why am I mentioning this in a review about Superman. Because the creators of Superman are from Cleveland, which I hadn't known until I read this book.

The story is pretty amazing and the book reads like a magazine article. It's easy to polish off in a day but the story itself will stay with you. Rick Bowers alternates between the conception of Superman and the origins of the Ku Klux Klan. As the two stories intersect he outlines the principle players and delivers the story in an even hand. Even when dealing with Stetson Kennedy (who made headlines after the authors of Freakanomics were self-admittedly "hookwinked" by him) Bowers still managed to separate the fact from the fiction and delivers probably the best account of the squashing on the KKK revival of 1947.

A perfect rad for any comic book fan who wants a great argument to demonstrate the positive power of comic books and their heroes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Superman Versus The Ku Klux Klan.