skein's Reviews > Rules of Surrender

Rules of Surrender by Christina Dodd

Apr 02, 12

bookshelves: rrrrromance-novels, 2012, e-book, 1-star
Read on April 02, 2012

T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E. Not the writing but the characters OH GOD the characters.

Charlotte is the improbably prim/proper/perfect governess-cum-heiress with a secret past (OF SCANDAL) who falls for the improbably-named Wynter, the young Englishman who moved to a desert country and returned with young children in tow. They and he need to be Civilized posthaste for some vague English ceremony involving Queen Victoria: hence, Lady Miss Governess Charlotte.

... and then it gets icky.

Wynter decides early on that Charlotte (for whom he holds no romantic feelings) will be his wife, and to hell with what she wants because women are a possession, like one's dog or horse, only rather lower down. I am not making this up. He sets about seducing the unwilling young governess by removing his shirt and talking about his scars and making her touch his "man nipples". I am not making this up.

And! After Wynter discovers her Tiny Scandal From Long Ago, he entraps her in the same way -- and in front of the vicar, too! Charlotte may be forced to marry him, but she refuses to bed him. On their wedding night, she locks the door. He blows upon the lock with a quick blast from his pistol as she screams, cuts off her dress as she protests, and seriously just rapes her I mean, wrestles naked with her and leaves her screaming again (orgasm this time).

"You're marrying a woman who won't have the right to demand anything from you, because you saved her. Never mind that your ruined her in the first place ..."

I am not making this up.
I sincerely hope Ms Dodd has a better imagination. I hope this isn't anyone's real story. I am too cynical to expect it, but I can hope.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rules of Surrender.