Ian's Reviews > Long Walk to Freedom

Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela

Apr 18, 2012

Read on April 02, 2012

It's all history but from Mandela's point of view. So though I do write a little about the content of the book, they can't be called spoilers as the information is already in the public domain and to get a complete balanced picture of the struggle, you should read other accounts of what was done. Not just Mandela's account.

Mandela's struggle with his friends, associates and others was righteous, there is no doubt on that point but the way they went about their struggle, I do not agree.

I was impressed with the early strength to resist the South African Government and their continual efforts to suppress Mandela and the group he was was a part of and the people he represented.

Yet, I am reminded of Bombings in civilian settings deliberately targetted at civillians, killing Mothers, Fathers, Brothers, Sisters, Son and Daughters.

Because of the extreme violent action and what I consider gratuitous violence, I see no reason to celebrate this man.

To give this book a rating may be construed as support for the violent action Mandela and his group took. I can't be a part of that, so no rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Long Walk to Freedom.