Lucy's Reviews > Immortal City

Immortal City by Scott Speer

6220606
Apr 02, 12

Read in April, 2012

** spoiler alert ** The first thing I thought when I read the last page was I bloody hope there's a sequel.
I loved the book straightaway and I fell in love with both Maddy and Jackson. The concept and ideas were so original, so thought-out; it was brilliant. The entire book felt like a satire on Hollywood life - and Twitter, YouTube, E!, Entertainment Weekly, etc - which it was.
Granted, the book was a bit predictable. I knew Ethan was going to be a bad guy from almost the second interaction Maddy had with him. (Although, I also thought there'd be something wrong with Mitch, he was a little too stereotypical and secondary character.) He was just so nice. I think Speer tried a little too hard when directing suspicion away from him. Unless he wanted us to guess what was happening.
Another thing I'd like to point out was that when we found out about most things (Regina and Jacob and the threat of the Archangels on one hand and the demon on the other), it seemed like there were two problems. Maddy and Jackson had attacks from both sides. The demon got wrapped up quite nicely - and Ethan, too - but they seemed to just forget about what the rebels were standing up for when they were in the hospital. Hello, saving human lives... but then Maddy seems to just get sucked into the Angel world (I'm talking about the training, not the fame, which I know she said no to) without raising any of the questions that she gave Jackson such a hard time for.
There's one of the reasons there needs to be a sequel.
Another reason being the fact that I totally just fell in love with this book, Speer's style of writing and the whole universe and I just want a sequel to obsess over.
I liked the switching POVs, too. I also liked how Gwen's character was turned into more than just stereotypical, being there for the sake of it, etc. I thought she'd just be a bitchy teenage girl, especially when she told those girls about Maddy's abilities and obsessed over the Angels. But I loved how she actually stepped in for her friend when Maddy needed her. It was cool.
So yeah. Main problem is that I'm not sure if there'll be a sequel and it's annoying me - I hate loose ends. And this book has a fair few. But overall, great book. I really, really enjoyed it.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Immortal City.