Tiffany's Reviews > The Dragon Heir

2741932
Apr 03, 12

bookshelves: 2012, modern-fantasy
Read from April 01 to 02, 2012

I don't really lnow what I was hoping for in the last installment of this trilogy, but what I got was the same, same, same (not a bad thing). A teensy prologue that I to skim through (I'm not a big fan of prologues) followed by a couple hundred pages of people waiting around for something to happen, which builds into a giant, amazing, epic scene that leaves me breathless and makes me forget about the not-so-exciting start of the book. Unless you really have a pet peeve for slow beginnings, this is not a bad thing.

This whole series kind of reminded me of a little bit of everything, fantasy-novel wise. The folklore reminded me of Dragonswood (the sequel to Dragon's Keep). The adventure/training reminded me of Eragon and . Basically, this book drew from a lot of familiar things about fantasy and made it into its own, which is pretty cool.

It might seem like there are tons of protagonists in this book, and there are. But the nice thing is that Cinda Williams Chima keeps them straight pretty well. I'm all over this. There are just too many times when there are waaaayy too many characters that really distracts me from the real story.

This series also seems to be one of those "undiscovered gems" in the book world. I don't really hear about it that often (but then, it was published almost 5 years back) but it's a good series.

Are you in the mood for a splash of fantasy? Are you prepared to wait a bit for the fantastic ending? Read on.

The Alchemyst

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dragon Heir.