Andrea's Reviews > No More Dirty Looks: The Truth About Your Beauty Products and the Ultimate Guide to Safe and Clean Cosmetics

No More Dirty Looks by Siobhan O'Connor

Apr 02, 2012

bookshelves: sociology-culture, general-wellness
Read in April, 2012

As a reformed conventional beauty product user, I'm happier than ever that a book this NASTY is out there for easy, general reference. And by NASTY, I mean, it is SO GROSS to know about some ingredients that are allowed to be used in makeup, shampoo, body wash, deodorant, lotion, sunscreen, toothpaste, hair dye, etc.

This book spares no feelings for the corporations. The cosmetics and body care industry is self-regulated, which basically translates to unregulated; the FDA is a crock and packaging is a scam. Companies can, and do, use the cheapest ingredients, fillers, and preservatives possible, most of which are carcinogenic and otherwise toxic. It's completely awful to read about BUT, fear not, if you are concerned about your products, you can always refer to the awesome, which rates over 69,000 products by potential for harm. Also, you can check out the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, which shares this information, as well.

The final portion of the book focuses on lifestyle factors, such as eating right, de-stressing, and getting enough sleep, but that seemed kind of unnecessary to me. But perhaps it's useful to someone who might need to hear it once again.

As for me, I'm sticking with homemade and one-ingredient body care, and only buying my cosmetics if they're rated 1 on the cosmetics database. Anything else is just nasty.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No More Dirty Looks.

06/23 marked as: read