Greg's Reviews > The Pale King

The Pale King by David Foster Wallace

Apr 02, 2012

bookshelves: fiction
Read from April 02 to 09, 2012

What renders a truth meaningful, worthwhile, & c. is its relevance, which in turn requires extraordinary discernment and sensitivity to context, questions of value, and overall point-otherwise we might as well all just be computers downloading raw data to one another.

In the interest of full disclosure as a 'novel' this work is not five-stars. As a collection of chapters, stories, asides and footnotes it is quite close to being five stars.

I have no idea how to review this.

I'm more than a little surprised at myself for reading it. I haven't been able to bring myself to finish the stories in Oblivion because of the finality I seem to feel hovering around finishing any of the DFW works that I had been saving for those long dry periods between his work when he died. Pale King I had the feeling would be the work that would forever linger unread on a bookshelf.

Then I got the urge to read it as soon as it came out in paperback. I would read the paperback (thus buying the book new twice, which is fine, but I would feel even more uncomfortable reading the hardcover because of weird feelings I have towards the physicality of books and the admittedly arbitrary fact of a book having a one in the printing history located on the verso title page causing me to handle the book like it's a delicate object, worrying about any damage it might receive and being fearful of underlining the book or doing anything to it that does more than the minimal damage necessary to the book from reading it. If you are one of those heathens who reads a book and makes it look like it's been through a war with duct tape holding it together and the pages puffed out from dropping it in puddles and all of that, please keep your opinion to yourself about my admittedly arbitrary analness when it comes to certain books and their treatment). The paperback that I would have no trouble underlining in, marking up, writing notes and having a grand old time with. For three or four days I eagerly awaited the arrival of the paperback Pale King into the store. The book was in the warehouse at the start of the week (Tuesday) but didn't arrive in the store until the Bookazine delivery on Friday afternoon. I checked almost hourly during that time on Bookmaster to see if the book had arrived. I was ready for it (and I bought the book during my five o'clock break on Friday, a time I never buy books at, about an hour and a half after the book arrived in the store, but because I had promised to read The Night Circus for Karen's Reader's Advisory group read I didn't get to start the book until Monday, this caused me a certain amount of psychological discomfort, mostly because I was afraid my resolve at actually reading the book would disappear after actually owning the book for a few days if I didn't start it ASAP. I was fairly worried about this, but the worries ended up being unfounded (obviously)).

And I read it.

A few days later.

--(I sat down to write this review a few days after I sat down to write the review a day or so after I sat down to write the review immediately following when I finished the book. Now I'm deleting just about everything I've written up until point, except for the very boring story above about how I came to read the book at the present time.

The above story, in all it's stupidness is seriously what it's kind of like being in my head or spending anytime around me. I'm very uninteresting, boring and tedious, but most likely you don't know this because a) you don't actually have to spend anytime around me because or b) if you do spend anytime around me I don't say very much and keep the boring crap inside me.

Seriously, is that story anything you would tell someone? And for me that was probably one of the more interesting things that happened to me during my working week (Sundays not included, that is the one day that is more interesting, but only because of Karen).

Again, seriously, because this is oh so serious, why would I share that stupid story? I don't know. Maybe because I believe, like everyone else(?), that the daily minutia of my life is so important that it must be as captivating to others as it is to me? You know, sort of like everyone thinks that their dreams (the ones they have when they are asleep) are so interesting but they never really are that interesting to anyone you tell them to? Why flood the world with some more bits of non-essential information, why subject you to having to be exposed to this non-essential data and force you to shift through it to come to the point that you've just been exposed to some stuff that you didn't need to know about and now you are being exposed to even more non-essential data that is being gratuitously added to an already uninteresting mess. Is it some attempt for me to get your sympathy ("No, Greg you aren't boring, you're liked, I look forward to reading about the mundane details of your life, please share more."), or to try to be understood, to communicate in some way with some people from my real life and a handful of relative strangers? (To evoke some kind of empathy? To feel less isolated and alone and convince myself in someway that any of the stupid bullshit I feel is shared by others who are similar (even if paradoxically different) from myself*), or for some other reason. (I get the feeling...that what you're imparting might be unclear or uninteresting and must get recast and resaid in my different ways to assure yourself that the listener really understands you (504))** )--

11:44 pm. Sunday April 15th, 2012.

All of this stuff has been worked on Tax Day, one year after The Pale King was released. The story at the start of the review was written earlier in the week, but all of the cutting up of my worked on review, the notes and asides and general self-deprecating that I seemed to need to share in order to get to this point was done at various times during this evening. I need to write this review because it's looming over me, it's making me anxious/depressed and feeling like I never want to write another review again. I don't want to take these feelings with me when I go to visit my parents tomorrow, and I rarely write reviews when I'm at their house so I just want to get this done now.

Besides it's fitting to finish this review on Tax Day, right?

If you made it this far in the review and are looking for an actual review of the book you should just stop reading now. It's not going to happen. MFSO has written a very good review / thoughts on the book and I'd recommend you read (or re-read) his review in place of mine. I agree with a lot of what he says and he writes in a clearer manner than I do.

Some of these chapters are just about the best writing DFW ever had published. Some of the chapters make no sense and I can only believe that they would have fit in with the overall structure of the book if it had been finished, or else not been included.

I read the paperback copy (as I've already stated above), so I had the 'extra scenes'. I'm more than a little baffled about why the longish bonus scene about a man planning to take time off work to watch every minute of broadcast television for the month of May isn't in the actual book. It stars mostly characters that never appear in any of the other chapters, but there are quite a few chapters with characters that never show up again and which are wonderful creations that were probably going to be like the great one-off characters in certain Infinite Jest sections or else that might have been developed further if the book had actually been finished. I'd recommend reading those extra scenes. I'd also recommend reading the notes for the various chapters, they sort of fill in what the finished novel might have looked like (I was afraid maybe those weren't included in the hardcover version, but they are, phew).

Since DFW's death I've been on some level looking for someone to take his place. Probably even before he died, in the years between the last time I read IJ and 2008 I was on the lookout for DFW-esque authors, someone to help fill in the time I expected to have to wait between any new work. I figured I'd have to be patient with him, great big works aren't written overnight. I've thrown the DFW-esque tag on quite a few people, sometimes in reviews and more often in my head while reading someone. For example while reading some of Zadie Smith's essays you could feel the DFW-ness to them, Adam Levin's use of words in certain stories in Hot Pink, the ballsy size and scope of his The Instructions. George Saunders with his sort of playfulness and weird world that could be other parts of the world that IJ takes place in. Jonathan Lethem in his essays, just to name a few, but there are more. DFW left a huge mark on the way people could write, what could be said in an essay, how a story could read. Even if all of these people weren't ripping him off, you can tell that they were liberated in some way by his influence.

When DFW's writing is merely a memory, in between actually reading him and reading others I can see hints of him in others and say (out loud, in reviews or just in my head) this is like DFW and at the moment what I'm reading that reminds me of some part of something I'd read of him that is true, but only sort of. The thing is none of these people measure up to him, there is something so huge and powerful in his work that other people might have bits and pieces of it down, but they don't have what feels like the all-consumingness that DFW's work has for me (and this is fine, I would probably feel disgust in an author who was just blatantly ripping off DFW, sort of the way I felt during the start of Eggers Heartbreaking Work... (which wasn't a total rip-off but felt too much like someone going out of his way to capture the tone that DFW had), for example, I like that Adam Levin has so many DFW elements but that he still has his own thing going on, or that Zadie Smith is not a DWF clone but a really intelligent and great writer who also shares some of the sensibilities that he had (does this make any sense?)). I don't know what words to say to really explain what I mean by this. It's not just that he wrote big novels, or long stories but most of the time, or at least when he was 'on' what he was writing felt gigantic, like a whole world in itself, like something I could stay interested in and occupy for a long long time. For example, chapter 46 with the long conversation that is really a fairly uninteresting conversation, topic wise, between Drinion and Meredith Rand, could have been an entire novel and I would have loved it. The point of that example is that it isn't even a short chapter that should have worked, it should have been boring and trite, some office drones going out for Happy Hour drinks where two of them have a conversation that isn't on the surface all that interesting and probably shouldn't be a seventy page chapter but it works and it's engrossing and awesome and is just one example of what I love so much about him and how I can't think of anyone else writing who could do something like that and do it so well (Adam Levin in some of his Talmudic side stories of The Instructions might come closest, I'm thinking his Slip Slap / 9/11 back story specifically). Some critics of DFW have pointed out that at times he is just showing off how well he can do different voices, but that to me is one of his great feats, he can move through so many different interior worlds and get the words feeling like they are part of the damaged thoughts of people. That he can write all these different people and feel like he's writing from their perspective and not necessarily just as a narrator looking over his creations.

I don't know what I'm trying to really say, except that he is unique and his writing isn't for everyone but for those who he does speak to, I don't think there is anyone else out there to replace him. He was just so fucking good and it because I'm a self-centered asshole I think it sucks that I'll never get to read another new great big work of his.... but at least we were left with this, flawed as it is for not being finished but still filled with mainly with amazing moments.

Post-script?

Ok, this review is a failure. I've made a fool of myself and excised whatever awfulness I'd been feeling about writing this review and I'm just going to post it as is. Consider this part a spoiler. It's a question about the book, it's not a big spoiler, but it's something that is built up to in one of the chapters. Consider it my own reading group guide question. (view spoiler).

*This was in mention to a delated part of the former review. I got lost while writing it though, but here it is:

I can't remember where in the book these thoughts came from, but I'm certain that they must have been spurred on by something in the text, possibly chapter 19. We are no unique. We like to think of ourselves as unique and feel our pains and problems as being something unknown by others who are free of the doubts and fears and even good stuff that works through our brains, but we aren't. Everyone experiences mostly the same sort of shit. Well, no shit? Right? But the flip side is true, too. You are unique, everyone isn't the same, what's good for him isn't going to work for her. Blah, blah, blah. How do you reconcile this apparent conflict? (a)

**Sorry, there were probably more reasons I was going to write there but my mind got really distracted while writing the stuff that falls under the (a) note from the above note. If I actually planned and worked on these reviews I'd probably not get into these messes, but at least in this reviews case I just need to plow through it and get it done. This review is causing me quite a bit of mental turmoil, and I feel like I need to get it done even though I also feel like more people are probably going to be paying attention to this review than others I write because I'm one of the outspoken fanboys of DFW, the fact is that I can't write this review. All of this nonsense is just hiding the fact that I can't get the shit in my head to make up coherent thoughts on this book that I really did love in parts, although not nearly as much as I've loved Infinite Jest or some of his other work. In my head right now I believe that no one will be reading by this point, I'm making the review difficult to follow, and this is in a 'footnote' which is a pretentious tool to use most of the time and in a review using the very limited html protocols allowed by goodreads it's basically a major pain in the ass for anyone reading the review to follow. So many things that I feel like I want to say I keep self-censoring. How do you write about DFW when the Great Big Awful Thing happened and it keeps showing up throughout the book. And how the GBAT made you not just sad because it happened but how it scared the shit out of you.

(a) Why delete parts of the review if I'm just going to share them as notes? I don't know. I actually have been dwelling on this paradoxical situation of being essentially no different from everyone else vs being infinitely different / isolated from everyone else. I can't remember where in the book these thoughts started to grow, but it was in passages of The Pale King. The problem (in explaining, not in the philosophical / existential variety that this sort of paradox opens up) is that I can't get what I've been thinking about to come out in words that make any sense beyond a handful of boring platitudes that when put next to each other look stupid.

The basic problem (as I'll try to lay out here, why not in the review? I don't know, I'm here right now typing is as good a reason as any) is:

A) Everyone (assumption, I'm generalizing, but this is the way I see the problem) thinks that his or her awful mental states are unique to them. No one else feels the awkwardness that I do, the sadness, the guilt, the regrets or whatever is bothering a person at the time when they think this way.

B) Everyone has these awful states. (Insert the good states too, although I don't think most people are as prone to feeling so unique while feeling really great about themselves (I realize that people in 'love' do, love is another state that feels totally unique and you can't imagine that anyone else has ever felt the way you do (another reason (if you can follow the jump I'm making in my head) to view love (romantic love) as generally a sickness / pathological problem).

C) Pretty much all of your hopes / dreams / thoughts etc., i.e., internal states are actually shared by just about everyone.

D) You are not unique.

E) Major problems arise by believing everyone thinks and feels like you do. Part of being a mature person is realizing the differences between yourself and others, realizing that others have different feelings and acting in a way that doesn't force your own ways on to others. Children generally can't do this, adults are supposed to be able to. But what about C and D?

F) At different levels (what are the levels? It would seem like this is the key to getting out of this problem) one would seem to need to realize that they are not unique, but be able to understand what it is that is shared among people and what is possibly shared but in different ways. I can't quite put this into words that make sense (this is part of the problem perhaps?).

G) Is this even a problem? Is it only a problem for a certain type of person (who is thus unique at least as far as he or she is different from people who go through their lives without wondering about stupid shit like this)?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pale King.

04/02/2012 page 38
7.0% ""The neurology of failure. What if he was simply born and destined to lived in the shadow of Total Fear and Despair, and all his so-called activities were pathetic attempts to distract him from the inevitable?"" 1 comment
04/04/2012 page 186
34.0% ""Sometimes what's important is dull. Sometimes it's work. Sometimes the important things aren't works of art for your entertainment.""
04/08/2012 page 479
87.0% "I could read a five hundred page novel that is just Drinion and Meredith Rand talking in a bar."
04/30/2016 marked as: read

Drew yeahhh!

Paquita Maria Sanchez The people demand a review!

Greg I just finished it twenty four minutes ago. I have started the review though.

Paquita Maria Sanchez I know this is a touchy question, and I think I know the answer, but: does this mean you've read it all now? Are ya doin' alright?

Greg Read it all as in all the DFW work? No. I still have half of Oblivion, Everything and More and whatever the name of his Master's Thesis is. And then there is all of the stuff in Austin that when I become independently wealthy I'll just take a year or so out of my life and systematically go through.

I'm going ok though, I think writing the review might be a little depressing though.

Paquita Maria Sanchez Take your time. Apparently that shit's all on lock-down at the moment, anyway.

Greg It will be quite a while anyway. I'm poor as shit and I don't see that changing anytime soon (ever).

Paquita Maria Sanchez That said, you can totally crash on my couch in this you get rich and read all the Wallace scenario. Oh, wait...rich people don't stay on couches.

Greg Elizabeth wrote: "I think you need to seduce an heiress."

Hahahahahaha, I stand a better chance at winning the lottery with the two bucks I throw into the store pool every week.

message 10: by Greg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greg It's looking like there may not be a review for this.

Paquita Maria Sanchez Dammit.

message 12: by Greg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greg I guess I lied, it's not the review I envisioned, but it's done.

message 13: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell I liked this review quite a bit.

(Argh I want those extra chapters....sigh.)

message 14: by Greg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greg If you mean the paperback chapters, most of them are quite short, only one of them is on the longish side, and they can be read probably in a bookstore with no problem and they are conveniently placed all together in the back of the book right before the discussion group questions.

message 15: by M. (new) - added it

M. Sarki I am going to go out on a limb here and tell you something you may or may not already know, or you may not know and when you do know it you might disagree, but nonetheless I feel it must be said. I never read The Pale King yet, but I have read all the other ones except for the ones you also have not read. I also admit to not finishing the so-called masterpiece, Infinite Jest. But what I want to tell you, if you do not already know this, that is, if you like the essays better than the fiction of DFW, then there is somebody infinitely better than the Zadie Smiths, the Jonathan Lethems, and others you have mentioned in your search for somebody to fill this void that DFW left for us. I found him. I am not sure if he will continue on as strongly as DFW did, I do not know how great his staying power is going to hold up, but I do know this: he sure can write and give me that stuff I am missing cuz DFW is dead. His name is Lee Klein. You can find him right here on goodreads. I think you would like him very much. I have written some reviews of his work and I think my reviews are pretty good too. But I couldn't be more pleased to have discovered Lee Klein and I am want to cheer him on vigorously and with greater zeal than most. Again, I did like your thoughtful review, as always.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't like David Foster Wallace and I'm not crazy about this review but I think you and I share a significant degree of mental states. There are several things I want address here:

1)Your Creflo Dollar/Blue Like Jazz related critiques of evangelical Christianity and how one of the reasons I dislike DFW is because he sounds like every college group minister I've ever know and I'm left with a sneaking suspicion that his societal critiques are very much informed by a conservate christian midwestern environment which I am intimately familiar with. I used to be a fervent evangelical but now am an atheist.

2)Perhaps you or someone else here can tell me why he once listed "The Screwtape Letters" as the greatest book of all time. If it was a joke what kind of joke was he trying to make exactly?

3)Your closing thoughts are historically fundamental philosophical questions which I find very interesting and which I don't feel our contemporary literary culture does a very good job of dealing with in spite of how much it pats itself on its back for doing so whenever a book comes out with a writer supposedly getting inside the heads of characters from diverse backgrounds and multiple points of view. Still, though, literature does seem one of the best cures for solipsism. Just not today's more heavily touted literature. Have you read any philosophical works which you found useful in dealing with the points you made in closing?

message 17: by Greg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greg M, I'll give him a look. He sounds like he could be interesting.

Justin, I don't think his listing of Screwtape Letters was a joke. I've seen a few lists of books that he loves / recommends etc., and they are usually fairly surprising with a lot of 'low-brow' stuff and unexpected books. I don't know for sure but I have a feeling that he was at least a casual church-goer.

I had taken a class on Intersubjectivity that dealt with some of these types of questions, the book from that class that I got the most out of at the time was Totality and Infinity by Levinas, it's more existential than dealing with the 'hard-problem' of consciousness and other peoples' minds. From the analytical side of philosophy Nagel and Sellers both have some interesting things dealing with this topic and so does Daniel Dennett. It's been so long since I really read any philosophy that deals with this topic in quite a while though.

message 18: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Greg wrote: "they can be read probably in a bookstore with no problem and they are conveniently placed all together in the back of the book right before the discussion group questions."

Yeah, but....I want to have them. sigh.

message 19: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell I think that was not exactly a pisstake but one of those weird moments where he was either trying to humble himself before popular culture or joke around with it, take your pick. Slate had a pretty good article about it http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2...

I dunno how conservative he was, but he does mention churchgoing in his 9/11 essay and a few others. He didn't seem that political to me, but his little book on the McCain campaign did upset some liberals. I didn't think McCain, or the political system in general, came out of it that well, but it's more a book about the spin cycle hype machine than actual politics.

message 20: by Greg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greg I know that he used some of those 'non-serious' books, like Red Dragon in at least one of the classes he taught.

message 21: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Yeah, it's on the syllabus. Along with Mary Higgins Clark and Jackie Collins. http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/press/relea...

message 22: by Tuck (new)

Tuck the un-winner of the pulizter http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/18/opi...

lee klein too, not bad at all http://eyeshot.net/leeklein.html

message 23: by Tuck (new)

Tuck publishers weekly says the un-winner of pulitzer is costing somebody LOTS of money http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by...

message 24: by Jen (new)

Jen Greg, some of what you wrote on this review reminded me of things I thought about while reading IJ. Also, Hell, Greg, you aren't boring, you're liked, and I look forward to reading about the mundane details of your life, please share more.

Justin, explain this societal critique thing to me, because none of my college ministers remind me of DFW in any way, although I wish they had. Then again, none of them were mid-western, so perhaps that is how I'm missing the link.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

It was something from "Brief Interviews with Hideous Men". The Krasinski movie version. The ex-boyfriend feels like the unconditional love of a hippie girl could save him.

He doesn't say anything about God, but the values are there. Grace. Unconditional Love. Anti-Solipsism. While doing drugs. Very college minister type stuff. And The Screwtape Letters? C'mon. That's sitting next the fern on the bookshelf behind every college minister's desk.

Paquita Maria Sanchez That's what you're gauging your entire opinion of this author on? That shitty movie?

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

More from reading Infinite Jest and his essays. The story from the movie was the most striking example in regard to Jen's question.

Paquita Maria Sanchez Yeah, but...goodreads claims you have 'read' that book. That story was in it. Did you or did you not read the story? Different animals, movie adaptations of things and original material. Why even reference the movie if you read the actual story? Just talk about the story, maybe? Just curious.

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 27, 2012 08:24PM) (new)

I just skimmed it. I assumed it was in the book since it was such an important part of the movie. Was I wrong?

message 30: by Jen (new)

Jen That's the difference! Midwestern college ministers have bookshelves in their offices!

Seriously, aside from the drugs, how is wanting those things wrong for anyone else...grace? unconditional love? someone else to connect with, be they a hippie or a female? And how is talking about the wanting of those things reducible to something unlikable for you, whether in DFW or in college ministers?

I'm a little confused here. If you see where I have gone wrong, please let me know.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

In a review of Updike, Wallace says the Baby Boomer generation is the most self-centered generation since Louix XIV. I'm not entirely sure what that means but that sounds like something a minister would say. "Our society is the most selfish one evah!"

message 32: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 27, 2012 08:37PM) (new)

Jen wrote: "That's the difference! Midwestern college ministers have bookshelves in their offices!

I feel like Wallace oversimplifies things. Like he isn't able to go to the heart of the matter by following the conclusions wherever they lead. He just lists off a bunch of data about everything he sees, more like a journalist than a poet giving us insights into human existence (Franzen's the same). There's a scene at the beginning of IJ where a suicide patient is talking about her repeated attempts to kill herself while a doctor listens. I felt like he described in the flattest, emptiest way while trying to breathe some melodramatic life into it. There was no heart. Just data. Some might say that's the whole point. Data has interrupted our traditional human ways. But I can figure that out for myself just by looking around me. I don't need an author to give me one more superficial description of the depressing stuff I see every day. I need an author who goes beyond that. And if he ever does go beyond that, the answers he offers seem as trite as those the evangelical church never gets tired of peddling.

Paquita Maria Sanchez So you didn't read the book. K, just checking.

message 34: by Greg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greg I hate to admit it but there probably is something of the college minister to him. Although my image of what a college minister or youth minister or whatever is based entirely on my imagination. I've never had any real interactions with these types of people in my life. One of the central themes in his writings is the need to be aware and he is somewhat evangelical about pushing this message at times (for example This is Water).

Those values might be pushed by a minister but they aren't values that religion has any monopoly over. I'm imagining (projecting my own self probably, but I do think that DFW and I share certain traits in the way we interact with the world, but I could be entirely off base) that to escape traps of over-thinking, living inside your own head, solipsism, etc., and all the destructive havoc that causes there are different paths, you can medicate, fuck yourself up on drugs, live in a haze, or you can aim for some kind of outside help, grace or unconditional love or whatever that comes from being aware of something other than just yourself and your thoughts. I don't mean to put this into an either/or dichotomy, or say these are the only two choices out there, but at least in Infinite Jest these are the two paths that most of the characters take.

DFW's reading favorite books I always took to be a little tongue in cheek. I think he was just trying to say that there are these other books out there that I really like and that are worth reading that I think you should pay attention to also. Most people would expect him to say Pynchon, Gaddis, Barth or Barthelme (who he does cite somewhere as having written one of his favorite short stories), but when he puts a Tom Clancy novel on a list of all-time favorite books I have a feeling that it's all part of his 'be-more-aware' of the world message. Although after reading Lipsky book and the way DFW was transfixed by action movies maybe he genuinely does consider someone like Clancy to be one of the greats.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Was that not in the book, Paquita?

Paquita Maria Sanchez Justin wrote: "Blublabla"

Man. I know opinions are like assholes, but clinical depression is so accurately described there, I don't even know where to begin. Maybe I'm just a flat, empty caricature of a person, though! Must be! No heart.

Paquita Maria Sanchez Justin wrote: "Was that not in the book, Paquita?"

Oh, it's definitely in the book, though it does not present itself even remotely as you seem to interpret it. You should, ya know, read it.

message 38: by Jen (new)

Jen If he was right, would his statement sound less 'preachy' to you?

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm such a poseur, Paquita. Help me.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Jen wrote: "If he was right, would his statement sound less 'preachy' to you?"

He might very well be right, but there's nothing convincing or charming about it. Like Rain Wilson putting up a statement of fact sign that says "It is your birthday," in front of Jon Krasinski. Man I LOVE that guy!

Paquita Maria Sanchez Justin wrote: "I'm such a poseur, Paquita. Help me."

Snarktastic, man. Two thumbs up. I only pointed out what you admitted, which is that you didn't read the book. Honestly, though, your opinion on the matter is no concern of mine. I've just been stewing on your initial, totally inconsiderate comment to Greg about how you 'didn't care for his review' for a week or two now. I stick up for my homies! You were bein' rude, dude!

message 42: by karen (new)

karen justin's been busy making friends on the internet this evening.

Paquita Maria Sanchez karen wrote: "justin's been busy making friends on the internet this evening."

Hi, karen!

message 44: by karen (new)

karen hi!!! i go away for fifteen hours and the internet is full of opinions! who knew?

message 45: by Jen (new)

Jen I've lost the plot of this now. So instead I am going to write something else, likely not related to what I wrote before:

I think what we dislike and why says just as much about us as what we like. And that those dislikes and likes usually decide who we converse with, hang out with, etc. We are all running around, with these definite ideas about our uniqueness and sameness, and we find huddles of others to whisper about all this with until we eventually go back to being alone again.

And that is my nonsensical thought for 11:55 pm tonight. I'm blaming pumpernickel pretzels.

Paquita Maria Sanchez It is? Full of opinions? OMFG NO WAY.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I should have stuck to taint jokes shouldn't I Karen?

message 48: by Greg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greg I'm fine with someone saying they don't like this review. I have some uncomfortable feelings about it myself (even more so since I accidently just floated it when I fixed a couple of typos I noticed (but left all the other awful grammatical problems in tact)).

message 49: by karen (new)

karen many of them are provocative and some of them are incorrect. the internet: full of stuff

LGM

Paquita Maria Sanchez Jen. Yeah, pretty much.

« previous 1 3