Lo's Reviews > The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

The Tao of Physics by Fritjof Capra

Apr 02, 12

Read in April, 2012

Well, this is my first one star on good reads, that means this book was even worse than the Third Hunger Games book.

The main reason for the one star is just my complete disappointment in this book. I went in to reading 'The Tao fo Physics' expecting to find something that correlated elements of quantum mechanics to the insights of Eastern mysticism and philosophy (which I feel was a reasonable expectation). However, what I found was an author who not only was dull but founded his 'correlations' on the beliefs of famous physicists and philosophers. For a good 1/3 of the book, you, the reader, are submitted to a quote by Einstein (or insert another well known physicist name here) and then a quote by the Buddha (or insert another philosopher, unknown or known here) and Capra going, "see they are saying the same thing!!". Nothing irks me more than this in nonfiction books about physics that target the general public - why have my own beliefs or both explaining things when I can say this landmark figure said this at some point (whether it be in context or not) and therefore it must be true. Ironically, the one thing I really do feel Eastern mysticism and physics have in common are that both demand that if you seek more knowledge, you must always question everything and through this incessant questioning, you begin to gain understanding. Our author here could use a little more of that in his writing ability.

I have very little positive to say about this book unfortunately. I learned a little bit more about Eastern philosophies than I knew, but I feel like there are other books out there that could have conveyed the information Capra tries to present more effectively. I really would not recommend this book to anyone - I fell asleep ~20 times reading this book (no joke, even when I wasn't tired this book put me to sleep), I feel like I gained very little knowledge or understanding from this book, and at some points, it was painfully banal to read. Capra is not good at explaining physics, Eastern mysticism, and certainly not the link between the two.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tao of Physics.