Charity's Reviews > The Shadow of the Wind

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Jan 21, 2016

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read from January 08 to 10, 2016

This was a beautifully rendered book full of mystery, magic, and intrigue. The minute I walked into the Cemetery of Forgotten Books with Daniel I was spellbound. The author does use a lot of embellished language to tell the story, but I felt that it was still well executed. It didn't take away from the plot points in my mind. It was a richly suspenseful tale that kept me turning the pages and now I desire to read more books by this author. Even the ending, which so many passes off as a cop-out by the author, was well done in my eyes. After all, if you seek beneath face value of what you're reading it may be easier to capture how one character could know so much of the troublesome history of other characters in order to relate it all to Daniel. One has only to imagine that conversations must have occurred "behind the scenes". It's unfortunate to me that this is such a distasteful part of the book for so many.

The only reason I gave it four stars and not five was due to the miraculous way that Julian Carax lived after a horrifying incident that happens to him in the book. It's difficult to believe that in the early 1950's Spain, medical treatment could be so efficient that there is even a distinct possibility of it. I don't want to spoil it for those that have yet to read the book, but for me, it was a bit far-fetched and unrealistic.

I love Gothic dark stories full of ghosts, black romance, and conflict and this story fulfilled that craving splendidly. I look forward to reading another novel by Carlos Ruiz Zafon in the near future and I can only hope that his other novels keep just as entranced. His writing is poetry even if was translated (I don't know Spanish so I have to read the English versions).

One more thing: I'd be in Heaven if I ever discovered such a place as The Cemetery of Forgotten Books. It's like a literary lover's dream come true. :-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow of the Wind.

01/07 marked as: currently-reading