Keertana's Reviews > Good Oil

Good Oil by Laura Buzo

Apr 02, 2012

bookshelves: favorites, aussie, life-changing, rainy-day-re-reads
Read on April 02, 2012

Wow. I am utterly speechless at the moment. I have never read a book like Good Oil before. A book so philosophical, so deep, that it was able to speak to me on an entirely new level. Everything about this book was perfect. Everything.

The novel introduces us to our protagonist: Amelia. Amelia is young, fifteen years old, smart, talented, works in a store after school, and is utterly besotted with her co-worker Chris. Chris is twenty-two, listens to Amelia, makes her smile, and opens her up to a world of new possibilities. When I first picked up this book, I assumed that the plot would mainly revolve around their dark and forbidden love story. I was SO happy to be proven wrong. The storyline of Good Oil goes so much deeper than a romance. In fact, the romance almost took a backseat in light of Amelia and what she was coping with. Amelia, being an intelligent and keen observer, has a refreshing voice - one that makes you truly think and go back and question your own life. The story is mainly told through witty dialogue between Chris and Amelia who are fast friends. Through it, Amelia conveys her struggles - struggles with feminism, with her place in her family, but most importantly, with growing up.

I loved nearly everything about this book. I loved how realistic and believable Chris and Amelia's relationship was. I love how we got the chance to read excerpts from Chris's diary and really get an inside look into his thoughts. I love how well developed and REAL the characters felt to me. I love that this book actually made me tear up because that was how deeply I felt for Amelia. I love that the author didn't go after the typical, cliched ending; instead opting for the more believable and realistic, but less likeable, end. Most importantly though, I love the themes this book conveyed. Its messages were real and instead of just coming out with them, Buzo develops them slowly throughout the course of the novel until you are compelled to truly question, think, and analyze them. I loved that. I loved that I was forced to re-read passages, look up references, and was able to experience Amelia and Chris's life and relationship with them. I loved this novel.

Buzo's writing is flawless, her characters are lively, her voice is refreshing, her plot is unique, and the messages she conveys have nearly never been conveyed before - certainly not in the manner she puts them across. I absolutely loved Good Oil and I'd heartily recommend to anyone looking for a good read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Oil.

Savindi I was left speechless by the end of this book too! I literally was. I was trying to form coherent thoughts over it, but it just blew me away. There was one thing that I found to be problematic to me, but other than that I really enjoyed this one.

Thanks for convincing me to read it Keertana!

Keertana No problem, Savindi! I'm so glad you enjoyed it and that it really resonated with you. It's one of those books that is bound to touch readers of all ages and I think her sophomore novel, Holier Than Thou, is too, although this remains my favorite! :)