Kathleen Kelly's Reviews > The King's Agent

The King's Agent by Donna Russo Morin

Apr 22, 12

Read from April 14 to 22, 2012

I do not know a lot about the Italian Renaissance so I was very eager to read this book. I can say I was not disappointed although it took me a bit to get past the names and places mentioned in this time period of 1500's Italy but that did not deter me at all. Based on real life art collector/thief Battista della Paglia, this novel tells the story of the search for a relic wanted by François, the King of France.

The clues to this relic are to be found in a tryptich and while Battista is on the search for the first piece of the puzzle he finds himself in a tight situation and Aurelia, the ward of the Marquess of Mantua manages to rescue Battista. Aurelia wants nothing more than to escape her sequestered life and have a bit of fun and adventure, so she takes Battista back to his home in Florence.

Aurelia joins Battista and his friends in the search for this relic and using their knowledge of the art of the time and the three canticles of Dante’s Divine Comedy…Inferno, Purgatory, and Paradise, Battista and Aurelia find themselves on an adventurous and perilous journey that takes them to Palazzo Prato, Grotte di Pastena and Castello della Dragonara.

The King's Agent is a wonderful historical fiction novel that blends history, art, a bit of the supernatural, love and a passion for beauty. Impeccable research went into the writing of this book and the way it is written pulls you right into the adventure with Battista and Aurelia. The descriptions of the beauty of Rome and in particular the Sistine Chapel where Michelangelo himself gives Aurelia a tour, I could almost see the masterpiece painted there. If you love historical fiction like I do then this is the book for you. I give it 5 stars!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The King's Agent.

04/17/2012 page 25