Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)'s Reviews > Lover at Last

Lover at Last by J.R. Ward

Picking up a new BDB book is like coming back home to old friends. You can’t help but smile at the familiar faces. Like everyone else, I’ve been dying for this book and knew that Ward would be facing her biggest challenge yet. Blay and Qhuinn are the Brotherhood’s most beloved members so she needed to give fans a book that would satisfy the crazy fantasies that readers have been conjuring up in their minds since LOVER ENSHRINED. I thought Ward reached a good balance and excelled with LOVER AT LAST.

For many, this would mark their first venture into M/M so Ward has the tough challenge of making Qhuinn and Blay’s romance one that wouldn’t shock people too much and also give enough so that avid M/M readers didn’t feel cheated. Ward’s talent as a writer is fully displayed with this book. Not only does she gift readers with scorching hot sex scenes that rock the chandeliers but provides enough heat and heart into the scenes so that it’s just as emotional as it is physical.

Angst is one thing that has followed Qhuinn and Blay for most of their journey so it’s not a surprise that Ward would threaten to shatter readers’ hearts once again in LOVER AT LAST. I could understand the personal barriers that Qhuinn and Blay would have to overcome on their own before they could accept their feelings for one another. It was just nice knowing that all their pain would lead to a lifetime of bliss. The epilogue is more than enough to make the romantic in me sigh with satisfaction. I was smiling from ear to ear through the entire last chapter, knowing that although this is the final chapter of their book, it is only the beginning of their time together for eternity. What a perfect ending!

That’s not all that happens in this book! At almost 600 pages, Ward covers her bases. She takes a lot of time setting up future books in the series. Readers get additional POVs from Trez, Assail, Xcor and a new character named Sola. What surprised me the most though is Layla whom I didn’t like before. Ward accomplished the impossible by making me love her. What Layla goes through in this book is crushing and in some ways, inspiring. Her strength shows and I think all women can sympathize with her. Suddenly, I find myself wanting a happily ever after for her too.

Ward exercises her writing skill by penning different POVs of the same scene, creating intricacy and depth in an already well-written series. Not many are able to weave such intricate storylines and have such memorable characters simultaneously. Only Ward can strike a balance and keep it entertaining.

LOVER AT LAST is everything that rabid BDB fans could want and more! At times, I felt like I had to take a break. LOVER AT LAST is so wholly engrossing and so brilliant that my little heart couldn’t handle it all. Ward delivers heart stopping action and a fiery romance for two fighters who are most deserving while shattering reader’s expectations and coming out on top!

Read this review at Fresh Fiction

SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POINT!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

As a M/M reader, I did feel like the sex scenes were glossed over a bit. Don’t get me wrong, there’s plenty of passion and heart, but it’s definitely not as explicit as some of Ward’s other sex scenes (*ahem* bathroom scene). Also....apparently there is no lube in the Brotherhood mansion. One word: Ouch. But all in all, I did enjoy reading it. Naturally, the dirty side of me rises and I wanted MORE! More kink! More sex! Bring it all!

Layla
Well shit. Here’s a revelation: I like Layla. Yup, never thought I would say those words but here they are and by the end of this book, I had a complete 360 change of opinion on her. What Layla goes through in this book is crushing and in some ways, inspiring. Her strength shows and I think all women can sympathize with her. I know a lot of readers didn’t like Layla because of her involvement with Qhuinn and I wondered how Ward would change that if she planned on writing a book about her but hell, she completely changed my mind about her. I’m eager for her book now. She needs to find happiness too.

Xcor
His last scene also changed how I saw this roughened warrior. For his whole life, he has been a lonely soul. Seeing this possessive side of him brings him to life and I cannot wait to see how Ward will give him a HEA. I want to know more about him.

Also, all the politics with the king and Rehv and Assail and all that? Loved. I was really impressed by the way Ward was able to weave the individual storylines into one another. And the different POVs of the same scene just proves her genius mad skillz.

Assail
I AM CLAIMING HIM FOR MY HAREM! He’s hot. As simple as that.

Sola
Where did this chick come from? I love her attitude and love the way she handles herself with Assail. She’s gonna be another kickass chick for sure. I love the set up Ward did for their book! Definitely makes me want it BAD. I’m assuming it’s next?

Trez
It was nice dropping into Trez head once in awhile. But I had no idea that his problem was so extreme. It’s going to be interesting to see how that spans out over the course of the next books and the fact that the Shadows have moved into the Brotherhood mansion just guarantees more fun times are bound to happen. His stuttering moment over Selena is the cutest thing ever. I’m liking this pair.

P.S. Butch and Lassiter fighting over the Red Soxs? Fucking priceless.

Check out my team review with the rest of UTC here

The Qhuinn in my head - sometimes it changes

The Blay in my head - again, it changes

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover at Last.

03/24/2013 page 1
0.0% "Clocking out of reality to read this! I'm so excited my palms are getting sweaty!" 10 comments
03/25/2013 page 313
57.0% "Well shit, here's a revelation: I like Layla." 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽ but we're gonna have to deal w/Layla and Xcor doing the naughty!!!

Debbie JR Ward is the worst life ruiner. I hate and love her for what she's done to me. LOL!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOL True, Sharon but IT IS QHUAY WE ARE TALKING ABOUT. I can managed to read some layla and Xcor X-rated bits as long as Qhuay gets x-rated too!!

I knwo, Cimmaron! WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO!?

Debbie I don't know but I was thinking about jumping off a bridge. Or maybe join a convent. What the hell does Ward expect us to do for the next year?!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) There is no way I would join a convent lmao!

I guess I will have to settle for barrons for the time being :)

Katie(babs) Qhuay. Sweet loving hot man sex Qhuay.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Katie, we better get our m/m smexin!! I'm in dire need of it!

Katie(babs) Annie the Destroyer *Leather Lust* wrote: "Katie, we better get our m/m smexin!! I'm in dire need of it!"

I don't think I can make it. I need this now. I have the shakes. There better be buttsecks. Lots and lots of dirty, man love smutty sex.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) There HAS to be buttsecks!

Katie(babs) Annie the Destroyer *Leather Lust* wrote: "There HAS to be buttsecks!"

And lots of peen snuggling and kissing also.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) YES! I want it all. No holding back.

message 12: by Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) (last edited Apr 02, 2012 07:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) Verily, I'm going to have to buy some ropes and handcuffs for this one so I wont RUN FAR FAR FAR AWAY

I have to prepare for this....book...

but don't get me wrong, due to my OCBD, I WILL READ ON!!!

Scrbe Virgin, help me!! Verily!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) hahah Get used to it, Angela! It will be cocks galore and you will LOVE IT! :P

Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) Verily,verily, *blushingly*,apperently.
LMFAOO

Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOL. I will stop the sillyness, mayhap.

Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽ it will be interesting to see how much of the m/m sex she will actually put in the book.

Katie(babs) lots of happy peens in this one.

Can we create the desk sex scene in Lover Reborn with Qhuay in their book?

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) YES, KATIE! I want a shower scene tooo.

Katie(babs) Annie the Destroyer *Leather Lust* wrote: "YES, KATIE! I want a shower scene tooo."

I want a bend over the pool table seen.

OMG Ward is going to think we're deprived.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Oh wow, I was just going to suggest a pool table scene! How did you know?

I don't think she realizes how many fantasies we've had already.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

❀ Sharon ❀ wrote: "it will be interesting to see how much of the m/m sex she will actually put in the book."

that's what I'm curious about...please, please, please don't hold back!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I'm sure there will be sex in it. it's a Ward book, but how explicit...thats what I'm worried about. I hope she doesnt hold back.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

That's what I mean Annie...I have a feeling she won't be as explicit as what we are used to in our m/m books! I hope I'm wrong though.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Let's just hope. But if she does that, I think people will hate this book.

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 03, 2012 07:43AM) (new)

Annie the Destroyer *Leather Lust* wrote: "Let's just hope. But if she does that, I think people will hate this book."

exactly...she needs to start watching some "research"! LOL.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) We can make a list of position...uhh I mean propositions for her.

Katie(babs) Ward said she will treat the sexy side of Qhuay just like any of her other couples.

Hmm sweet man peaches...

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Oh good! So we don't need to worry so much I don't think.

Katie(babs) Annie the Destroyer *Leather Lust* wrote: "Oh good! So we don't need to worry so much I don't think."

If the kiss Qhuay shared in Lover Mine and how Blay has Sax over the desk in Lover Mine is an indication, I don't think we have to worry.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

yeah, i'm not going to worry too much b/c they are FINALLY going to really be together as a couple! I'm just as excited for the sweet, tender moments as I am the sex!

Katie(babs) I need a Qhuay countdown widget for my blog.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) We're going to make one once we know the official release date. We're going to make some Qhuay buttons too.

Katie(babs) Annie the Destroyer *Leather Lust* wrote: "We're going to make one once we know the official release date. We're going to make some Qhuay buttons too."

I say the release date is March 26, 2012, a Tuesday. Each day until then I post a countdown mention on FB and Twitter. I'm sad like that. heh

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Annie the Destroyer *Leather Lust* wrote: "We posted our BDB fantasy cast today: http://underthecoversbookblog.blogspo..."

love it Annie! nice work!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I'm thinking it's that date as well.

Thanks Heather!

message 41: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. This is the funniest collection of comments ever. I read it out-loud to my hubby-to-be. We laughed so hard. My favorite line is "sweet man peaches". I hope to use that term if Katie doesn't mind. :)

Katie(babs) Brittany B. wrote: "This is the funniest collection of comments ever. I read it out-loud to my hubby-to-be. We laughed so hard. My favorite line is "sweet man peaches". I hope to use that term if Katie doesn't mind. :)"

hmmmm peaches...

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) haha Brittany! I just reread it now :P

Trish My Q & B are a lot dirtier and rougher looking. :)

Areana I see Leighton as John Matthew actually...that sweet boyishly handsome face of an angel and a body promising you he is every bit a man...***Swoon***

Susan65 Perfect pics...I can use these too. Thanks

Tee-Anne Oh my god!!!! These are one of the best set of pics I've seen!! I sooooo agree!! So fucking hotttttttt!!!

Tee-Anne To be honest they look like the same guy- or twins!! All that doubled up- niiiiiiiiice!!!

Marka oooh!! Parker Hurley's beauty is stunning :D