Liz's Reviews > Twilight

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Aug 25, 08

Recommended to Liz by: Maggie
Recommended for: Anyone searching for a quick, mindless read
Read in August, 2008

Full confession, this is trash of a most adolescent nature. I've heard it compared to Harry Potter but I think its more akin to a cross of the Historian and Sweet Valley High. The "heroine" is far from a feminist icon - she needs to be taken care of by big strong men and has unhealthy sexual urges which must be resisted by her wiser mate - and I wouldn't let anyone under tweleve read this book. The story is predictable and excessive at times, but still captivating. And I give the author massive credit for coming up with a new twist on a most familiar tale. In the end, I enjoyed it - even as I felt a little cheaper for buying into this particular fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twilight.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Staci Liz - a bunch of girls in my office are OBSESSED with this book. Let me know if it's fun/good and not just fun/cheese. Have fun in Vegas!

message 2: by Catherine (new)

Catherine VandeVelde I'd be interested in knowing how you like this, too. I keep seeing copies of it on shelves everywhere!

message 3: by Liz (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:52AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz I read this book and the two that followed (New Moon & Eclipse) in one long weekend. Not sure which is more miraculous - the fact that I managed to find a bookstore in Vegas (to purchase II & III) or that I actually enjoyed this series enough to consider buying the IV and final chapter in hardback.

Maggie I told you, trashy! But so compelling ;) Definitely read the last one, it's my favorite. You know the movie comes out in Nov too - I'll be that shameful old lady hiding in the back of the theatre or pretending she's with that pre-teen next to her!