Catherine Ryan Howard's Reviews > Stay Close

Stay Close by Harlan Coben

Apr 08, 12

Read from April 02 to 08, 2012

I always say that Harlan Coben is one of my favorite writers, but to be honest, I haven't truly loved a book of his for years. I probably couldn't even name his most recent ones before this, even though I've read them all. Yes, they are solid, quality thrillers, but they've just all become rather samey. I remember being absolutely stunned at the endings to his early stand alone thrillers (TELL NO ONE, GONE FOR GOOD, JUST ONE LOOK) but since then I can barely recall the plots of any of them. And so to STAY CLOSE. Yes, it was an enjoyable read and yes, I kept turning the pages. But by next week, I won't remember a thing about this book. It's just forgettable and not at all original—it's not even original in the context of the author's other work. These days the thriller fan is utterly spoiled by the choice of original, psychologically taunt thrillers, and I just don't think Coben can compete amongst them anymore. Or maybe my tastes have changed, and I just need more than suburbia with hidden secrets and a twist at the end. I'll still read him, but I won't be dashing into the bookstore on publication date anymore, I don't think.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stay Close.