Mel Bossa's Reviews > Kabul Beauty School: An American Woman Goes Behind the Veil

Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodriguez

Apr 09, 12

Read in January, 2004

It was a marathon of juxtaposed stories with no real dept to any of them. Every time I grew to like one of the women "spotlighted" in a scene or two, the author would end the scene abruptly and move on to another segment. Granted, the courage and humor of the author came through and I enjoyed her anecdotes, but still quit the book two chapters before the end. I knew there would be no real closure. The threads were woven quickly and loosely throughout the novel. I suppose, in some way, I wanted it to more political and explicit--a little more like Things I've been silent about. When I understood that it wasn't going to be that kind of book at all, I then began to expect to feel and maybe even be upset over the stories, but I'm too jaded...None of them hit a nerve. It was all so manipulative and quick. I don't know...Maybe it's just me.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kabul Beauty School.