Robert's Reviews > King Solomon's Mines

King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard

Sep 17, 08

bookshelves: general-fiction

This is a classic adventure story taking the form of a long letter from Alan Quartermain to his brother, in which he narrates his experiences in search of a lost Englishman who was on a quest to find the legendary diamond mines of King Soloman.
It is presented straightforwardly and suffers from being somewhat predictable with regard to the plot, but it shows the prevalent attitudes of its time and location just as well as, say, Tess of the D'urbevilles does its time and location. Some of those attitudes make the book slightly unsettling in an unintentional way, as they are (hopefully) not widespread these days.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King Solomon's Mines.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita Fiorillo Read all the H. Rider Haggard's when I was living in Mexico in the late 50s - It was interesting reading about "colonial exploitation" while in a country that had had much the same experience. Although I was too young to realize it at the time.

Robert Sounds like the Biggles books which are supposed to be racist but I didn't notice at the time - haven't read any since childhood. I do vaguely remember that Bigggles didn't like Germans but he fought two world wars against them and had a German Nemesis, so perhaps that was realistic characterisation!