Катя Czaja's Reviews > Out from Boneville

Out from Boneville by Jeff Smith

Apr 23, 2015

bookshelves: graphic-novels, kids-favorites, reviewed

While I probably cannot add much to the hundreds of positive reviews that already exist of this series, I just want to re-iterate what a wonderful, beautifully drawn, literate, and thought-provoking series this is.

My son has reread the series every few months for the last 3 years. We own both the color editions and the omnibus. I have reread the series at least once a year for 3 years. Certain phrases from the series have entered our family lexicon — my kids know that they are being particularly thoughtless when I tell them, “don’t be a stupid, stupid rat creature.”

This series is perfect for a MG to middle-school child of either gender. My dyslexic son started reading the series in 3rd grade — at first he had trouble with some of the words but he could follow the story from the pictures. As his reading improved, he could read more of the text and his understanding of the story deepened and his love of it grew. If you have a reluctant reader and don’t know what to get them — start with Bone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out from Boneville.