Travelling Sunny's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

May 06, 2012

bookshelves: wanna-read-again
Read from May 02 to 06, 2012

Amazing. Magical. Mesmerizing. I'm completely enamored with this story. Ms. Morgenstern describes all her work as "fairy tales in one way or another" and that is not an understatement. With this novel, she has somehow described the indescribable. I want to visit that circus!

It's a story of magic; it's a love story; it's certain to become THE fairy tale for this generation, much as The Princess Bride became a fairy tale for me.

"The circus arrives without warning." It is the opening statement of the book. It is the ending statement of the book. It is everything in between.

I will most definitely be following this author. If this is her FIRST book, I can only imagine that future publications will be nothing less than pure genius. Kudos to you, Erin, for making me believe in fairy tales again!
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

Quotes Travelling Sunny Liked

Erin Morgenstern
“The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not.”
Erin Morgenstern, The Night Circus

05/04/2012 page 91
05/06/2012 page 226
58.0% "More than half way through the book, and I still don't know WHY there is a competition. The descriptions are so well-written - what a way to take advantage of the reader's imagination! Love, love, love it so far!"

message 1: by Delee (new) - added it

Delee I almost bought this yesterday, but passed on it. I am not a fan of circuses in real life. Would that matter do you think? Soooooo many people love this book...I may have to re-think it.

message 2: by Travelling Sunny (last edited Oct 25, 2013 11:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Travelling Sunny Oh, it's a beautiful story. It's really not the kind of circus you're thinking of, meaning like a Barnum & Bailey affair. And, the story, oddly enough, isn't precisely about the circus itself. Though, I hesitate to say anymore for fear of spoiling certain illusions.

Karen I downloaded this to Kindle yesterday. Wanted to just "take a peek" and WOW! *Something* just grabs you from the get-go. I guess the circus really did arrive without warning.

Travelling Sunny Oh, you are going to love this one! Her writing style is just beautiful!