Nancy Oakes's Reviews > A Fraction of the Whole

A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz

Aug 19, 08

bookshelves: favorite, australian-fiction, gave-away
Read in August, 2008

I am simply blown away by the fact that this is Steve Toltz's first novel. This is one book where size doesn't matter: the 500 + pages literally flew in no time. I just started this the day before yesterday, and if silly things like sleep and family (not to mention preparing for a tropical storm) didn't get in the way, I'm sure I would have finished it yesterday.

I cannot, absolutely cannot do this book justice so I won't go into plot details, etc, but suffice it to say that this is undeniably one of the best books I have read this year. It is a nonstop ride that makes forays (in a most politically incorrect way (yay!) ) into pretty much all areas of life in one of the most creative sessions of writing I've ever experienced. It begins as a tale of good intentions gone very very badly, and then you're hooked because you absolutely must stay with it to find out how it's all going to end.

I predict only great things for this author. He looks at life from a fresh perspective and his writing is simply exquisite. I loved this book, and can very highly recommend it. I know I'm going to want to reread it at some point -- it's that good.

As an aside, the Booker judges are going to have their work cut out for them this year...kudos to them for putting it on the longlist.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Fraction of the Whole.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hayes (new)

Hayes I'm reading this now, and just love the beginning. Hope I continue to love it (I think I will, nay I'm sure I will.) I think I added it to TBR because I had read your review, so thank you!

Nancy Oakes You're welcome. I hope you end up liking it -- I wrote that a long time ago before starting to try to hone my reviewing skills (which I'm still working on). A lot of books have left the house since then but I still have that one -- that's a statement right there!

message 3: by Hayes (new)

Hayes Nope... in the end it just didn't do it for me. Ah, well. C'est la vie!