Erin's Reviews > Kill Me Softly

Kill Me Softly by Sarah Cross

Apr 03, 12

bookshelves: netgalley, read-in-2012, myth-fairytale-etc
Read from March 30 to April 02, 2012

[A free copy of this book was provided to me by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review]

2.5 stars.

I can’t remember the last time a book started with such promise and ended up being so disappointing!

Much of the blame for this lies with our heroine, saccharinely named Mirabelle, who is every bit as irritating as a focus as an ungrateful teenaged runaway promises to be. Unheeding of the rules and restrictions of her loving godparents, who have brought her up since her parents died in a fire during her christening, Mira decides – a few days before her sixteenth birthday – to run away, back to the town of her birth – Beau Rivage – and locate her parents’ graves.

Of course, her godparents had extremely good reason for everything they did, especially banning her from returning to Beau Rivage, as the town is home to a community where individuals are cursed and must carry out the storylines of fairy and folk tales. There is no escape and no free will from these pre-ordained lives.

Of course, these fairy and folk tales aren’t the Disney versions, but the originals; Cinderella’s stepsisters hack off parts of their feet in order to fit the dainty slipper; Donkey Skin’s father is fired with incestuous lust for his beautiful daughter; birds peck out eyes, hot coals are danced upon, etc etc. Promising, right?

After her arrival at Beau Rivage and her introduction to the other cursed of her generation, Mira becomes drawn to two brothers – one punkish and difficult, the other suave and charming – and then, suddenly… instant love triangle, and Mira’s quest to find herself and her parents’ final resting place is increasingly sidelined in favour of naughty lingerie shopping, drunken parties and spending a lot of time on the beach. At one point, there is a wrestle/tickling fight between herself and one of the brothers. It was absolutely cringeworthy and generally so uncomfortable to read.

The 2.5 stars reflect the promise and potential of the basic idea – plus, at times, there was some quite well written teenage ‘banter’. I still feel however, looking back to how desperate I was to get it over with by the end, and how much I hated the protagonist – that I am being generous. It’s still uncertain as to whether or not there will be sequels/companion books following the stories of the other Beau Rivage cursed, but if there are, I will certainly be giving them a miss.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kill Me Softly.

03/30/2012 page 159