Romancing the Book's Reviews > The Next Always

bookshelves: contemporary
Read in March, 2012

Reviewed By~Jen
Review Copy Provided By~Library

I've been a Nora Roberts fan for years. She's one of those authors that has found a formula that works and she doesn't stray far from it, but also manages to keep each story fresh and entertaining. I know that when I pick up a Nora Roberts novel I am going to get well developed characters as well as an interesting plot tied together with an almost magicical style of storytelling that makes me feel like I'm in the middle of the action. I can also guarantee that my heartstrings are going to be tugged. And this first installment of her newest trilogy is no exception.

This new series is set in the small New England town of Boonsboro and follows three brothers who are restoring the town's historical inn. Ms Roberts goes into great detail when describing the construction and design of the place throughout the story, sometimes almost excessively. However, being able to vividly picture the setting only enhances the story. And I can't wait to read future stories in the series to see the inn be returned to its full glory.

This book in the series follows Beckett, the youngest brother and the project's architect, and his high school crush, Clare. Clare has returned to town, now a widow with a couple young kids, to open a bookstore. Beckett is finally ready to change their relationship from friends to lovers, but has to overcome some obstacles in his path. I loved watching Beckett tear down all of Clare's defenses as he woos her. His interactions with her kids are especially touching, yet humorous at the same time. Ms Roberts does a masterful job of portraying the emotions Clare was going through as she dealt with falling in love, yet honoring her late husband and family.

This little corner of New England will be revisited in May 2012 with the release of book 2, The Last Boyfriend, and you'd better bet that I'll be there to watch Avery and Owen's relationship bloom.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Next Always.

Eva The inn is in Boonsboro,Md, not in New England. It is close between Frederick and Hagerstown.