Robin Edman's Reviews > Fractal Despondency

Fractal Despondency by Trent Zelazny

Apr 02, 12

Read in April, 2012

Fractals come about when the input of a specific equation is the output of the last iteration of work with the exact same equation. Fractal despondency, then, would be depression that results from doing the same damn thing over and over, hoping that the different starting point would produce a better result? That's my best guess. This is a story about a guy who destroys people near him by indulging his alcoholic tendencies. As has been established in prior reviews, I have no tolerance for drunks. I choose to believe that the protagonist's action means a departure from the pattern rather than a continuation of it, but it can go either way.

So let's talk a little bit about mechanics. They were imperfect, which is a pet peeve of mine, but the artistry of the writing did to some extent make up for them.

I'm giving no stars because I hate the subject matter of the book, which would result in a rating way lower than the quality of the writing by itself would suggest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fractal Despondency.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Bryce Pearson Makes me wonder why you even took the time to read it.

message 2: by Robin (new) - added it

Robin Edman A very reasonable question! I read it because he is the friend of a friend. I declined to rate because the quality of the story is greater than my enjoyment of it, so I gave no rating. I use this site to get book recommendations, so I star along my preference lines.