Marcus's Reviews > Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto

Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman

Sep 02, 08

This book started out great...nice and insightful...As it progressed, however, I've found myself removing stars from the rating.

He tries too hard to tie everything up in a neat little bow...every essay has to end with a witty little wrap-up sentence, dripping with a false poignancy, essentially wrapping it up with his original statement. It started feeling as formulaic as pop music.

It was when I got to Toby vs Moby that I found myself closing the book, and throwing it across the room. He stretches pretty far throughout his essays to make a point that isn't always there, but this one...When he had the audacity to tell me that the Dixie Chicks are more talented and relevant to music than the whole of the grunge era, when he proclaimed that pop country trumps alt country I began wondering where his head was, exactly. Then I flipped the book over and realized he's a writer for SPIN magazine, and it all made sense.

He's so quick to discount so many people's taste as some sort of a hipster fashion accessory; if you listen to Hank Senior, you're a poser, if you listen to alt country, you're a poser earning $56k+ a year with no true understanding of the working class. I'm sure I'll finish the book eventually, but I'm wary of it all, now.

I was willing to take his hatred of the Lakers with a grain of salt, but when he tries to tell me that the Dixie Chicks are the Van Halen of the next generation...Jesus.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob Nice review. Question "inciteful" or "insightful"...? ;-)

Marcus thank-you...my brain went on pause for a spell...and spellcheck wasn't helping...

message 3: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob What can I say? I'm a sucker for a good ol' fashioned Freudian slip!