Jeffrey Poole's Reviews > Harbingers of Mortality

Harbingers of Mortality by Steve  Thomas

May 01, 12

Read from April 02 to 28, 2012

When nothing goes as it should...

Jeshu is a deadly assassin living in the world of Kalharia. His mission? A simple assassination. When things go wrong, he's forced to team up with a mute Vian Knight and his squire to confront someone who threatens the lives of everyone in the kingdom. To make matters worse, an ancient evil goddess is just waiting to return to power so that she can exact her revenge on those who have shunned her.

The Harbingers of Mortality is a fantastic adventure story set in a world of magic, elves, knights, and dragons. Mr. Thomas has skillfully created a believable unique world where not only does magic exist, but it can be depleted and renewed, much like a rechargable battery. The world-building is very impressive and very comprehensive. I love how plausible the explanations are for how the magic works in Kalharia, as well as how unique his characters are.

My biggest critique, in my opinion, was the difficulty in following along with the time line. I really did love the amount of detail that went into everyone's point of view regarding the ongoing situation they found themselves in. It made sure there weren't any open plot holes. Not once did I wonder what had happened to a particular character. However, since the author created their own specialized months and number of days for each months (again, bravo for going into so much detail!), at the beginning of each chapter had the day and month of the year. But without a frame of reference, I was left unsure which sequence of events happened at which time. Then, once I finished the book, then I found the Appendices at the end, which addresses the calendar, and which month follows which. Should have read that first. :)

There was also a few times when I was wondering who I should be rooting for, but after discussing the issue with the author in a book club forum, he mentions that how he had written it. So that was just my own personal preference.

All in all, a great fantasy book worth reading. I'm off to pick up the first in the series (his books are written so that it's not necessary to read the first). Don't forget to look for the Appendices at the back so that you don't do what I did! Great job, Steve!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harbingers of Mortality.