Sarah's Reviews > Trauma and Recovery: The Aftermath of Violence - From Domestic Abuse to Political Terror

Trauma and Recovery by Judith Lewis Herman

Apr 02, 2012

Read in March, 2012

Recommended to me by one friend, then I borrowed it from another, and immediately lent it to someone else as soon as I'd finished it. This is a great book! The author outlines clear, easy to understand psychology. It's geared towards those who are training to become mental-health professionals, but without any jargon.
To me, it seems like the best type of self-help book because, for a non-mental health professional, it tells you how to be your own counselor to a degree (or to best handle a loved one who's suffered trauma), without being gimmicky or condescending (my 2 biggest complaints about most self help books). The first chapter was a bit of a slog of medical history, but the helpful stuff starts in chapter 2 and continues through the rest of the book at a good pace.

If you're interested in psychology or if you or anyone you know suffers from PTSD or stress disorders of any kind, I highly recommend this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trauma and Recovery.

03/07/2016 marked as: read