Melissa's Reviews > Embrace

Embrace by Jessica Shirvington

Apr 02, 2012

liked it
Read in March, 2012 , read count: 1

At first, I liked this book, and then I didn't, and then I did, and then I didn’t. So . . . I don't know what to say. I knew it was about angels, but for some reason, when Violet is finally told that she is part angel, I found it unbelievable. I thought, "Yeah, right. This is so stupid." It makes absolutely no sense for me to find the scenario unbelievable because I love sci-fi and fantasy books/movies/television, so I don't really understand what my problem was. I also thought there were too many explanations. Of course, explanations are necessary with this book, but I felt like I was in a classroom, a lecture hall – rather than reading a novel. In addition, I felt there was too much information at times, which left me confused, trying to understand the whole thing angel/Grigori/exile thing. But then, Phoenix came around. I felt, from the get-go, that he was probably bad news, but I did not care because he was a compelling character. He was your typical arrogant, sexy, charismatic, funny, self-assured bad guy. How can you not love that?? His character alone turned the book around for me. Don’t get me wrong, I still loved Lincoln. He sucked me in from the beginning, too, but you can’t deny the power of the cocky hot guy. I felt myself annoyed by Violet’s dumbness. Her undeserved anger toward Lincoln and her inability to figure out what was going on with Phoenix were absurd. I believe they give an explanation as to why she was an angry moron, but it was still annoying for me. I guess I can let her slide, but the Phoenix stuff was also too obvious for the reader. I know many people who try to “figure out” how the storyline is going to play out, but I do not do that and even I figured it out immediately. It was ridiculously obvious, which was disappointing. Apparently, this is the first in a series, yet the ending was pretty anti-climactic. You can see how I am struggling with a final review on this book, right? The bottom line is this: Despite its flaws, I did find myself wanting to read it when I wasn’t and I will read the next book in the series. All in all, a decent read. (P.S. One thing I LOVED were the awesome quotes at the beginning of every chapter. I've highlighted several on my Nook!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Embrace.