***Dave Hill's Reviews > On Basilisk Station

Mar 07, 14

bookshelves: text, favorites
Read in March, 2014, read count: 4

REREAD, MARCH 2014

I ran across some info online of some Honorverse work that Weber has brewing -- an upcoming comic book and movie, in particular -- which made me want to revisit this old friend.

There's a lot to criticize about OBS, stylistically: passages with overripe descriptions and dialog, good guys and bad guys that barely stray beyond two-dimensional, coincidence upon coincidence that helps Our Hero fulfill the first steps of her literary destiny, to the applause of her peers and the teeth-gnashing of her foes.

But there's also a lot to like. Aside from a occasional SF infodumps, Weber lets his well-considered space opera technology shine out and influence the plot appropriately. That plot has some interesting twists and turns to it, and the grand conspiracy is complex enough to not be easily guessed at.

In short, it's pretty darned good space opera (and more pulp than Hornblower, though that's usually the comparison made). I don't regret the reread, and expect there will be another in the future.

--------------

REREAD, MARCH 2012

Rereading the series -- with the publication of the latest volume -- is a guilty pleasure, because this is space opera of the first order, with flashing star battles, personal melodrama, war and rumors of war, blood and guts and everything but daggers held in the teeth. It's the first of Weber's long series, and there are some rough edges in the writing (though the cliches are still fresh), but it's overall quite a pleasure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Basilisk Station.