Katie's Reviews > Food Politics: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition and Health

Food Politics by Marion Nestle

Apr 02, 12

Read in April, 2012

Boy... if you have any conspiracy-theorist-leaning tendencies at all, this book will really get you going! I think most of us are aware of ties between food corporations and our government's food regulations and safety standards to some degree, but this book will show you just how deeply ingrained it all is. It really is kind of disturbing that the FDA and the USDA have responsibilities both to the health and safety of U.S. consumers, AND to the agricultural industry. Those are definitely a conflict of interest, and this book will show you how, in every which way, over the years. You'll never trust another food label again, and that's probably a good thing.

This was a pretty "textbook-y" book though, so unless you have a particular interest in this topic, it might put you to sleep in certain parts. There's a lot of info about laws and the workings of bureaucratic institutions, which is great info, but not exactly page-turning reading. But it's a very good source for those interested in this topic.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Food Politics.