jules0623's Reviews > Horizons

Horizons by Mickie B. Ashling

Four and a half stars, really. It would have been five but for two little things.

I really enjoyed this story. The cover art nearly put me off - I didn't realise how much I rely on it to get me to click on a book - but the blurb was interesting and I started reading it as soon as I bought it (rather than start one of the other several hundred books I have waiting on my Kindle).

The first few pages are odd in pacing and a whole lot of 'tell' instead of 'show' which almost put me off. I think taking the slower road and showing those initial meetings between our MCs rather than just telling us they happened then picking the story up four meetings later would have been much better for the story.

Anyway, that's pretty much my only criticism until the very last pages. I loved the story. The relationship felt realistically paced, the MCs were wonderfully written and relatable, the secondary characters were fantastically rounded and real (horribly, horrifically so at times). The writing was tight and hard to pull myself away from, and the sex hot!

My only other issue with this book was the unbelievable turnabout at the end by Clark's father and mother. I get that people change but even I - a girl who WANTS everything tied up in a pretty bow at the end - don't buy Clark's dad's personality change. His mother - meh, I can let her change of mind slide because of what happens to her but his dad? Nope. That was a bit of a WTF moment for me at the very end, but ultimately I loved the story and will be looking for more from this author.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Horizons.

04/11/2012
1.0% "Godawful cover but I love sports star stories!"
show 1 hidden update…