Taylor's Reviews > Explosion in Paris

Explosion in Paris by Linda Masemore Pirrung

May 22, 12

I enjoyed this book cover to cover. It really struck a chord with me.
The story line is quite good. The book is compelling and inspirational. Angela's journey is the focal point of Explosion in Paris in which the author interweaves suspenseful accounts of her most harrowing crises with inspiring moments of reflection that lead her to self-reliance and self-discovery. She is desperate to bring focus and meaning to her life again after a disastrous marriage ends catastrophically. The clarity of the author's writing makes Angela's story, in a quiet way, nearly as riveting and palpable an adventure as her grief and torment, earlier in the story. She got tougher. Instead of continuing her fall into the void in the throes of despair, she chose to fight. The lack of ease in her life made her angry but it played a role in finding her voice and expressing it but with a sense of humor. Her journey is awe-inspiring, brutal and touching in equal measures. The book's greatest achievement lies in the examination of Angela's emotional landscape but my favorite parts are the way she chose to confront Mitch with his crimes closer to the end. She emerges from her despairing journey as a connoisseur of the human heart and the rebirth it helped to inspire.
I think this is a powerful read and I am grateful that I chose to read it. I feel as if I made the window-into-Angela's-soul journey with her.
I loved Courtney also in that she wasn't afraid to show that she had some backbone and refused to take the easy way out, even though ultimately she paid a heavy price to maintain her integrity and dignity.
Many things we might think are too hard or inaccessible to us are just waiting for us to find the spirit and courage to try. Such great life lessons could be learned from Angela's exciting and remarkable journey.

This is also perfect for men, because it reveals that not all women are weak and unable to take on a challenge. It is an opportunity for men to see into a woman's soul, unless he is a "Mitch" type. If that is the case, it is doubtful that he will "get it".
This was a compelling book that I read over the course of a couple of days.
Well done!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Explosion in Paris.

dateDown_arrow    newest »