Theresa Payne Lazar's Reviews > Rainshadow Road

Rainshadow Road by Lisa Kleypas

Apr 24, 2012

bookshelves: first-reads, chick-lit, romance, fantasy, read-in-2012
Read from April 23 to 24, 2012

Let me start off by saying that this is only my second of Kleypas’s novels, the first being Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor. I won Rainshadow Road in a Goodreads giveaway, and I like to read all books in a series before starting a sequel. So, I guess what I’m getting at is that I have not read any of Kleypas’s other works, but this certainly will not be my last, as I really enjoyed the simple story of this book.

If you are looking for a sweet romance with a touch of magic, you will find it in Rainshadow Road . This is the story of two people who appear to have commitment issues, but in actuality, have just had problems committing and connecting to the right person. This was a very quick read for me, and Kleypas moves the story along at a nice pace—not too quickly, but it also does not drag in parts that it easily could. There is just enough tension to ensure that the reader stays interested, but does not get frustrated. I thought that this was a solid romance novel, and I really enjoyed it.

As an aside, I personally like the style of series where each novel focuses on different people in a circle of characters, yet the author lets previous characters poke their heads in, just to let you know that they’re happy in their situation (a la Emily Giffin and Nora Roberts). I got that in Rainshadow Road , and I imagine I will get it again in Dream Lake , which I also look forward to reading when it comes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rainshadow Road.