Tatiana's Reviews > City of Ghosts

City of Ghosts by Stacia Kane

Jan 15, 15

bookshelves: 2012, urban-fantasy, 2015
Read from April 07, 2012 to January 15, 2015

The only thing I want to say is that I appreciate how infidelity and lying are handled in this book. Ever since reading Richelle Mead's Succubus series I've felt pretty bitter about how Georgina and Seth's cheating was so easily forgiven and forgotten. City of Ghosts is a great antidote to that. I love that Chess had to work very hard for her forgiveness and redemption. The relationship drama kept me glued to this book, waiting for the next fight or hookup. Mystery? What mystery?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Ghosts.

04/07 page 38
11.0% "I have no restraint" 3 comments
04/08 page 209
62.0% "It's about time! I was getting tired of waiting for the sexytimes." 2 comments
01/09 marked as: currently-reading
01/15 marked as: read

Emily May How dare you when I don't have my copy yet?! :P

Tatiana Guilty, guilty...

Katie (view spoiler) Cheating is definitely NOT accepted by Terrible...he ain't having it!

Catie Yes, I too am far more intrigued by the relationship drama and Chess' inner turmoil than by the mysteries. I hope that there's a bigger picture soon - more than just the small hauntings. I want to know what's going on behind the church and what the world of ghosts is all about.

I completely agree about the infidelity. Terrible's reaction was so hard to read, but it was really realistic. I love that he doesn't just forgive and forget because his love for her is oh so special. He has a very genuine and harsh reaction.

Are you going to review these? Also, do you feel like Chess' drug addiction has gotten any grittier or are you still underwhelmed?

I love that you guys are addicted. :D

Katie I hope she gets out from under the Church somehow...

Regina Me too.

Tatiana Yes, yes, those scenes where Terrible was mean to her were very hard to read and I felt bad for her, but at the same time I felt it was realistic and she deserved it on some level. This sort of issues just don't go away, there is a lot of hurt that goes around and things have to be worked out.

You know, Catie, I am still not completely buying into her addiction, especially in this book where it is hardly mentioned and almost always just to spike up her power or wake her up. I thought the withdrawal scene in Unholy Magic was very powerful, but I am still not getting how she feels while being on drugs and why she needs them, probably because the drug use seems to hardly affect her work and personal life. Nobody ever comments on how she behaves while under the influence, and apparently she always is, is she erratic, jumpy, etc. as if there is nothing different about her behavior.

I don't think I will go back to review these, it's a bit of a challenge for me when I am catching up on a series. I normally have enough enthusiasm for the first book, but then do nothing until the newest release.

There was a bigger story in City of Ghosts I felt, than in two previous books, the whole church in danger and all that. I think because Kane never knows how many more of her books will be picked up, she sticks with a 3-book story arcs. So far I am not having any problems with reading about small cases. We'll see how I feel later in the series.

Katie The other realistic thing that has to happen and it goes along with Tatiana's comments about how nobody seems to notice her behavior while constantly on drugs...is I think it is going to be "found out" at work. I also, think the one Grand Elder guy that she likes already knows that she is using (or has some idea) but is looking the other way. But, it has to come out...all addicts think they are smarter than what they really are and get sloppy. she will have to mess up and get caught...maybe that is how she will get out of the Church thing?

Tatiana Yes, Katie. I also think Elder Griffin (?) knows about it, or at least knows more about her than she thinks.

message 10: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Well, since it seems so far the series has been going great, I'll have to read these sometime after I finish Shadowfever!