Charles's Reviews > Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 3

Eden by Hiroki Endo

May 29, 12

bookshelves: manga-graphic-novels, science-fiction, reviewed, stat_3

** spoiler alert ** Stuff I Read – Eden It’s an Endless World Vol 3 Review

The third volume of this slightly odd series lands the group in the middle of a large battle. After the opening moves at the end of volume two, this volume begins and ends with the ground battle. Opting to get up close and personal, Propater throws everything it has at the group, and this volume has quite a few surprises and twists. It introduces the Aeons, which are set up to be nearly indestructible soldiers. These Aeons, however, turn out to be a bit of a disappointment, and suffer from the fact that they are taken down rather easily by a number of the group members, which calls their effectiveness into question. That aside, the volume also ups the ante when it comes to danger to the group, and there are casualties. So all in all the volume covers quite a bit of ground while at the same time being entirely contained to the fight between the group and Propater forces.

I suppose I should start with the battle scenes themselves. Mostly we are dealing with Kenji being the strange killing machine while Khan and the rest stand up well in their roles. When it comes to back stories, this volume focuses mostly on Wycliffe and Kachua, which I suppose makes sense. The stories themselves are fairly done, and do a good job setting up these characters and continuing to flesh out this dystopian future. On the one hand you have Wycliffe, who is desperately trying to outrun his guilt. Basically he is trying to do some very horrible things because he sees himself as already fallen, already tainted, and by becoming more so he is trying to spare other the same taint. On the other hand is the relatively innocent Kachua, who has grown up in a relatively safe environment, but one completely devoid of freedom. And here, on the edge of freedom, she meets Wycliffe and the two form a strange bond.

But, like many manga series or shows, the main reason that we learn about these characters is because its makes their deaths that much more meaningful and weighty. Which is not the most original way to do it, but the volume does a decent job of getting the reader to care about these characters before they are killed. The manner in which they are killed is also rather telling, as Wycliffe basically gets the chance to reenact the scene that broke him originally. But where the first time through he did nothing, that sin being the one he has carried ever since, this time he gets to try and save the innocent life. Of course he fails, which is where the book comes down on innocence and sin in this new world. Namely, it denies Wycliffe the redemption, denies him saving Kachua. At the same time that it denies Wycliffe to be forgiven for the sin, it also denies Kachua salvation, implying that she, too, is beyond redemption in this world, that the only way she can find freedom is in death.

Otherwise, the volume does have some good fighting, and it does show a bit more of the character of Elijah. He is a strange character himself, because in this volume he does show that he has aptitude in fighting. But it is a little inconsistent, because he freaks out a bit when he is controlling Cherubim and kills someone. But later, when he is sniping expertly, he really isn’t reacting at all, and indeed he only gets upset because he can’t act quickly enough to save Wycliffe and Kachua. So while it is interesting to see his reactions to the various violence going on around him, the volume fails to be incredibly consistent when dealing with that. I mean, I get that despite being a child he is still twisted by this world, but I don’t know how exactly. It is something that hopefully will be worked with more as time goes on.

All in all, though, the volume does a good job ramping up the action and making the story a bit more personal. It does a fair job fleshing out some characters, though it does summarily blow that flesh to pieces. But still, it is nice to see that people aren’t really safe in this world. And while those two did seem the most expendable, it might be trying to set up an unstable environment where even main characters can die. I can hope, at the very least. While hampered by a few minor problems, and relegated to gory battle most of the volume, the series still manages good moments, and finishes this volume with a 7.25/10.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eden.