Beth's Reviews > The Ninth Orphan

The Ninth Orphan by James Morcan

1941524
Apr 04, 2012

Read in April, 2012

The Ninth Orphan ranks amongst the best thrillers I have ever come across and I am really pleased to have been given the chance to read it as I would never have naturally picked it up. With every emotion from pure fear to grief to even a little romance, this novel hits all the bases and doesn’t disappoint.
The Ninth Orphan is an extremely fast paced thriller as we follow the curiously named Nine as he attempts to free himself from the corrupt agency he was born into and begin again as a free man. The story follows Nine in the present but constantly we’re given crystal clear flashbacks to his childhood as part of the Pedemont Orphanage programme, where, along with twenty-three other orphans, he had a less than regular upbringing.
From the first chapter, we’re given a hint at the kind of character Nine might be, despite his future as a faultless assassin and as the novel continues so does our understanding and belief in his character. What I loved most about this novel was Nine’s fantastic chameleon abilities, which lead to the Chinese agents on his tail to dub him ‘Changing-Face Dragon’. Wherever and whatever he’s doing Nine is able to mould himself a new disguise from busty blonde to Sikh gentleman, the opportunities are endless and barely believable.
Once on the run, Nine finds himself in France and his mentor-cum-father figure Tommy Kentbridge is on his tail along with one of his fellow orphans, known by her number, Seventeen. Nine knows time is short and it isn’t exactly the moment to be getting caught up in romantic affairs yet this seems to be on the cards and when things don’t look like they could get any more complicated, they do.
Fast paced, full of twists and turns and exactly what anyone would want from a thriller – sensational.
Bethan Townsend, The Kindle Book Review
14 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ninth Orphan.

04/02