F.J.'s Reviews > The Assassin and the Pirate Lord

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas

Aug 29, 14

bookshelves: e-book, high-fantasy, reviewed, young-adult, short-story
Read from April 08 to 28, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 2

It has been two years since I first read The Assassin and the Pirate Lord and encountered Ardalan's greatest assassin Celaena Sardothien. In these two years I read Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight - which turned my opinion about the author and the series around by 180.

If you'd like to take a look at my old review, click on the spoiler. (view spoiler)

My love for the world and characters Sarah J Maas created grew stronger with each book. I also started to realise that she does know how to write a compelling story without sounding like a sixteen-year-old brat.
I still don't know why TAatPL seems to be so different compared to ToG or CoM, since the novellas were written between book 1 and book 2. So while it is nice to see more of Celaena's adventures and the people who shaped her life, I find the novellas are not a necessary 'must read'.
I will, however, continue to make my way through the ToG novellas in The Assassin's Blade. Maybe there is a story in there that I like as much as the novels.

My opinion about The Assassin and the Pirate Lord did not change over those two years and my adoration for Sarah J Maas. I still think that the story lacks of a seriousness and a good writing style, and is, in the end, rather boring.
In the end I'd recommend to leave the novellas out and instead just read the novels. You can't do anything wrong with them. I promise. Go get them.

description
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Assassin and the Pirate Lord.

04/27/2012 page 15
04/27/2012 page 15
21.43% "I thought this would be good ... But the assassins are lame and sissy(they kill people and still shut up when a cocky 16 year old girl is stamping around on their balls - Sorry, but that's unrealistic). The assassin guy (Sam) has no guts at all and even 6 well-skilled hitmen can't do what a 16 year old girl can do - Please."
04/27/2012 page 16
22.86% "A pirate Lord afraid of a girl in a stupid mask? A pirate lord who's mighty and dangerous and daring? Honestly? I rarely met a heroine so cocky and stupid and childish and exaggeratedly boring as Celaena; she believes the world should fear a 16 year old girl because she can do everything what assassins thrice her age can't do (duh), oh and she's soooo beautiful (which is her weapon too!) :D"
04/27/2012 page 18
25.71% "I thought Celaena is the bestest assassin of all? Why is she so stupid then and can't even seem to notice a paper knife on a desk?"
04/27/2012 page 19
27.14% "The dialogues are really awkward - they make my writer heart bleed. (Btw, pirates always wear coats when it's cold outside! Thank goodness, their mamas never have to fear that their little chickens get a cold! - Am I too sarcastic?"
04/28/2012 "So what is a pirate without slavery? Just a drunken, bearded, tattooed punk. Really, that's just too silly!"