Kelly Hager's Reviews > First Day on Earth

First Day on Earth by Cecil Castellucci

Apr 02, 12

Read on April 02, 2012

Mal is not your average teenager. Yes, he has not-uncommon teenage problems (he doesn't really fit in; his parents are divorced) but there are also ones that most people don't have to deal with (his mom is an alcoholic and so he takes care of her instead of the other way around; his dad walked out and Mal hasn't seen him since) and the problem that is almost unheard of (Mal believes he was abducted by aliens). Not surprisingly, Mal keeps all these problems to himself, but especially that last one. People are mean and teenagers are the meanest of all.

Then he meets Hooper at a support group for people who have been abducted by aliens (or "taken"). But unlike everyone else at group, Hooper says he is an alien. He and Mal are good friends, so Mal isn't happy to hear that Hooper's going home soon.

I found out about this book completely by accident and I'm so glad I did. It's incredibly different from everything else I read, and while no, I don't believe that aliens come and abduct us (or are walking among us), it was incredibly moving.

Mal's had an awful life and hand dealt to him, so I think that if his worst fault is believing that he was abducted by aliens, he's still ahead the game.

Honestly, though, I think that the "alien" thing is just a metaphor for how a lot of people feel in high school---so completely other. It felt---at least to me---like everyone else had everything together and knew how to behave in all situations and I just felt like a complete dork. (Just me? Possibly.)

This is a great book, and I hope more people pick up on that.

Highly recommended.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Day on Earth.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire Sounds really different and interesting!