Bronwyn Rykiert's Reviews > Falling Leaves

Falling Leaves by Adeline Yen Mah

Apr 02, 2012

bookshelves: book-club, family, library-book
Read from April 02 to 07, 2012

I did not think I would like reading this book but I found it compelling reading and I did enjoy it. I thought it would be depressing but it wasn't that much, as I did not think that Adeline's life was too bad at all. It was just a story of her wealthy family and her selfish, self centred stepmothere, who I think took over her father's life and his familie's life more than he had planned.

When I started reading I was expecing Adeleline to have had a really deprived childhood, but what I get from it, is that she was emotionally deprived, someone who wanted to be loved by her family (as does everyone) but she is not the only that has happened to, her siblings copped it too and if Adeline had not been so proud, life could have been easier. Her siblings copped almost as much a Adeline and the step-mother even cut ties with her own blood daughter because she was jealous of her.

What made it a bit harder for Adeleline is that as her father was very wealthy she could have had a more privledged life but as her stepmother was so greedy whe wouldn't share. The Yen children though still had the priveledgte of a lovely housen to live in and they all went to private schools and finished their schooling in England. They were given opportunties that only the wealthy can give their children. A good education is what parents should give their children so they have a chance to make their own way in iife.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Falling Leaves.