Augusta Carolina Maria's Reviews > The Berlin Stories: The Last of Mr. Norris & Goodbye to Berlin

The Berlin Stories by Christopher Isherwood

Apr 18, 12

bookshelves: berlin-buchgemeinschaft
Read from April 02 to 16, 2012

I really enjoyed the character development in this book. One of Isherwood's strengths is his ability to describe people who are so very different from himself and provide the reader with a clear sense of who these people really are. I found myself really caring about what happened to them and it was interesting to see his opinion of some of the characters change over time.

Isherwood also gives one a sense of what life was like and what people's concerns were during this era. It is a combination of economic and political chaos that led to some of the social phenomena that defines the Weimar era. A sense of defeatism is also a thread that is carried through both works. Even though the characters in the book do look forward, they're not sure that there is very much to be enthusiastic about. They are conscious of having two choices (KPD and NSDAP) and those who are not naturally drawn in one way or another end up ambivalent or even targeted.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Berlin Stories.