Jess's Reviews > Silk Is for Seduction

Apr 18, 12

bookshelves: historical
Read from April 01 to 08, 2012

Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads

He lifted his mouth an inch from hers. “I’ve been wretched,” he said.

"I’ve been wretched, too,” she said. “I’m no good at being good.”

“I don’t want you to be good,” he said. “I want you to be you. Marcelline…”

What an incredibly addicting story with a hero and heroine who are equally driven, smart and passionate. This was my first Loretta Chase book and while it took me a few chapters to really get into the story and her writing style, once I got to know the characters I was completely hooked.

Marcelline is raising her young daughter alone with the help of her two sisters. They run a dress shop and its Marcelline’s dream to be known as the best in her craft, ever. She’s the master designer, taking risks and willing her customers to try new and daring styles, while her sisters manage the publicity and the books. They’re a great team and they won’t stop until they become THE women to see for a dress.

Clevedon has been traveling for the past few years, staying away from a future that includes marriage to his childhood friend Clara. He’s enjoying himself in Paris when he runs into a vision. Marcelline is in town finding out all the latest in French fashion so that she can take new ideas back to her shop and the women of London. They meet, sparks fly like crazy and their banter and witty back and forth conversation begins. These two really met their match in each other and I loved seeing the different emotions that they each brought in the other. Frustration, playfulness and lust all come out in their very short time together in Paris. Marcelline heads back early as does Clevedon when he learns that she’s leaving and their relationship continues back home.

Marcelline is such a complex character, you can’t help but smile. She will do whatever necessary to succeed. She has big dreams for her shop, her life and above all else she wants a good life for her daughter. She’s certainly not some dainty society woman, going to balls and swooning over men. She’s a worker and doesn’t run in the same circles as the highly titled Duke of Clevedon, but she keeps contact with him because she wants to dress his future wife, Clara. Nothing will get her business to skyrocket like dressing a Duchess and even though she’s falling in love with Clevedon, she puts aside her feelings and lets her ambition take over.

She held him, relishing his weight and the feel of his silky hair against her skin and the scent of him, while her breathing quieted, and the world came back.

“That was much more fun than self-sacrifice,” he muttered.

She laughed. “Yes, cheri, it was.”

He raised himself up to look at her. “Cheri,” he repeated. “Why does it sound so delicious when you say it?”

“Because I’m delicious,” she said.

Clevedon almost does the opposite. He’s driven by his feelings for not only Marcelline, but for her young daughter who reminds Clevedon so much of his young sister who died in an accident. Lucie wraps Clevedon around her little finger almost from their first meeting and Clevedon is sunk. When disaster strikes the dressmaker’s shop, he must offer help. He takes in the whole family and provides them loans to get themselves back on their feet in a hurry. That’s what stood out most about Cleveland. He completely understood what Marcelline’s business meant to her, and he moved heaven and earth to get them a new space and get their materials restocked so they could continue on.

As I mentioned above, it took me a few chapters to really get into the world and to understand the characters and where they were coming from. But once that happened, I fell in love with them all and couldn’t wait for more Clevedon and Marcelline scenes to come up. They had wonderful back and forth conversation, these two strong willed people, who matched up so well. Little Lucie stole every scene she was in and it was sweet to see Clevedon fall for her as well as her mom. He found in them the family he’d lost at a young age. The Noirot women are all so intriguing as business women, I can’t wait to get the other two sister’s stories to find out the more personal details about each one. Marcelline and Clevedon were such joys to read about, their story was fun and emotional and they themselves had me smiling and waiting for that moment that they were able to finally come together.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silk Is for Seduction.

04/06/2012 page 178
04/08/2012 page 303
79.0% "I am LOVING this story! After a slowish start, the relationship between Clevedon and Marcelline is soooooo good."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dija Great review, Jess! I've been on the look-out for a different sort of HR, and it seems I've finally found it! :)

Jess Dija wrote: "Great review, Jess! I've been on the look-out for a different sort of HR, and it seems I've finally found it! :)"

This one is definitely different from anything I've read recently. I would say to give it a few chapters for the story to pick up, but once you get into it, it's really enjoyable! Hope you like :)