Kyle Shroufe's Reviews > The Dante Club

The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl

M 50x66
Apr 01, 2012

bookshelves: pre-20th-century-fiction-written-2, philosphes, read-crime-thriller
I own a copy , read count: once

Based in Boston in 1865, "The Dante Club" is the first of Mathhew Pearl's classic literary thrillers dealing with writers such as Charles Dickens in his later book and the work of Dante Alighari, his most famous work in fact, Dante's Inferno. Not only does he include credible facts of Dante's Inferno and a legitimate late 1800's Boston but he also tells the story from the perspective of real life Philisophes of the time including Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, James Russel Lowell, and Oliver Holmes, not to mention the famous publisher J.T. Fields. Although this is an amazing fast paced thriller, it is the level of detail and correct information that I learned just by reading the book was amazing. The story is well told and although many readers nowadays don't enjoy victorian era books, Matthew Pearl makes this story and the characters relavent in a way that everyone can enjoy this book. I found it to be entertaining to the end and can't wait to finish "The Last Dickens" his second book in his 'series' if thats what it is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dante Club.