Megan's Reviews > The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

F_50x66
Apr 01, 12

bookshelves: bookclub, non-fiction
Read in March, 2012

This is the book that explains why i haven't been logging many books lately. It was a slog, and i can't actually explain why i finished reading it.

The primary problem that i had with this book is that there was no clearly defined thesis, or resolution. And the structure was scattered which served to obfuscate any point there may have been. A secondary problem that i had is that the text consisted of example upon example, which is never an argument technique that compels me.

Which is not to say that i disagree with what Sagan is saying - mostly that our society has far too little scientific literacy, and that this has the potential to seriously harm us both as individuals and as a society. Most of Sagan's suggestions to address the problem are good, albeit a little obvious.

There were a couple of interesting pieces of information and suggestions, though. I may not have been as let down if i hadn't been expecting more from a book by Carl Sagan.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon-Haunted World.