Evan Leach's Reviews > The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

A Reader’s Guide to The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

Step One: Don’t Panic

Don’t Panic

Within the first 30 or so pages of this book, the planet will be blown to smithereens and you, gentle reader, will be hurtling through space alongside the zaniest group of characters this side of Alpha Centauri. The plot is not exactly fueled by logic and reason so it can be a bit disconcerting for newcomers. The important thing is to relax and enjoy the ride. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy isn’t beloved for its intricate plotting anyway, but for its constant, nonstop hilarity. So take a tip from the most remarkable book ever to come out of the great publishing corporations of Ursa Minor and remain calm if you find yourself wondering just what the hell is going on at any given time.

Step Two: Prepare Yourself to Learn the Ultimate Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything

This book provides the ultimate answer to life, the universe, and everything which is pretty great. Note that you may not love this answer but what can you do.

Step Three: Don’t Forget Your Towel

Towel

If you find this book as funny as I do, you'll need this to mop up the tears of laughter that will be streaming down your face. Comedy is more subjective than drama, and I begrudgingly accept that not everyone will love this book. I myself have been head over heels for it since I was a kid and decided to write this review mostly as an excuse to read it again. I think Adams’ writing style is hysterical and my only complaint with this book is its brevity. This is one of my all-time favorites and gets a big fat 6 stars from me.

Reread in January, 2004 and April, 2012.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ryan I will always remember that sequence with the whale...

Evan Leach Haha that's a classic...my personal favorite passage from the end when they're talking about Arthur's brain:

"It could always be replaced," said Benjy reasonably, "if you think it's important."

"Yes, an electronic brain," said Frankie, "a simple one would suffice."

"A simple one!" wailed Arthur.

"Yeah," said Zaphod with a sudden evil grin, "you'd just have to program it to say What? and I don't understand and Where's the tea? Who'd know the difference?"

"What?" cried Arthur, backing away still farther.

Ryan Haha yea.