Joan's Reviews > The Magic of Reality: How We Know What's Really True

The Magic of Reality by Richard Dawkins

Apr 07, 12

bookshelves: 2012-favorites, science-nonfiction, ya-books, nonfiction
Recommended for: ALL 12-14 year olds!
Read from April 01 to 07, 2012

This is one of the few books that I would consider comparing to Asimov's writing, particularly for youth. He explains clearly many things about science. This is NOT a book to read if you are religious or believe in astrology, etc! He completely dismisses religion's ability to actually explain things today. I especially liked one of the final chapters dealing with luck. He explains what the law of averages really mean, and why it is silly to assume someone is a lucky or unlucky person or due to have some good luck after a lot of bad luck. He also talks about the impossibility of miracles using a famous one as example. Did I mention you won't like this book if you are religious? He covers a LOT of basic science. In fact I was thinking that the book could easily be used by a middle grade science teacher as one of the textbooks. Probably not the only textbook since by the general nature of covering quite a few different branches of science, a lot of it is not in depth science. He also gives you a way of evaluating whether something is believable, which would be useful for many of us. He is passionate that not only is science the proper way to view the world, it is also the most beautiful, magical way to view the world. He uses the definition of magic as poetic in the title. If you have youngsters, particularly if you live in a conservative, religious area that is limiting what science can be taught, this book is a must to buy, read and discuss with those youngsters! It may also have the effect of helping kids to realize how fascinating science is and consider taking it up as a career!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magic of Reality.